Is this good idea? - Recycling Styrofoam leftover

Sponsored Links
It is of use as a screw lock or similar, it is just polystyrene after all, it is quite brittle. In electronics stuff they used to use it to lock variable capacitors or for coil support, to stop them becoming microphones.

Sponsored Links
For my use, I would imagine it being useful for sealing gaps between the glass and window frames for the better insulation of the old windows.

What this doesn't mention is the difference between DIY and Professional use.
In your own homes you are free to play around with bottles of acetone as you please.
In the workplace, we have to contend with amongst other things, MSDS's and HSE requirements.
In my workplace, we use lots of acetone, but we have to wear gloves, goggles, lab coats etc. And to avoid breaching workplace exposure limits, we can't even have an open beaker of acetone on a worktop - it wood have to be contained within a fume cabinet.
There is also the flamability risk to consider.

For occasional home use, the risks of using acetone are miniscule.
But when you start moving up in scale, using large open beakers etc. It may be worth considering taking some of the precautions that we use.
Especially so, if you suffer from skin, or breathing ailments.

I wouldn't want to put anyone off, but be sensible! ;)

Example MSDS attached

Attachments

• msds-acetone.pdf
    95.1 KB · Views: 63
For my use, I would imagine it being useful for sealing gaps between the glass and window frames for the better insulation of the old windows.
The problem there is that it is not flexible, specially when cold like a window in winter. It might put stress on the glass, much better to use silicone to seal to glass.

I had thrown out loads of polystreyne and we had always aceton bottles everywhere in the house when the daughters were staying in the house. I think acetones were used to clean off their nail polish.

So, I don't see acetone and polystreyne mix can cause health hazards more than acetone itself unless someone did something unwise with it.

And for applying silicon, yes it would be the best. But I am just wondering if there is any possibility of recyclying these stuff instead of throwing them away.

I had thrown out loads of polystreyne and we had always aceton bottles everywhere in the house when the daughters were staying in the house. I think acetones were used to clean off their nail polish.

So, I don't see acetone and polystreyne mix can cause health hazards more than acetone itself unless someone did something unwise with it.

And for applying silicon, yes it would be the best. But I am just wondering if there is any possibility of recyclying these stuff instead of throwing them away.
see post 4, it is ok as a locking thread glue but not many other significant uses

What a load of tosh.

We cannot just mix polystyrene with acetone in bulk and paint it on everything.

What will the resulting surface do in a fire? Burning acetone can release some very noxious substances.

Mixing that stuff in bulk requires a disposal method in bulk and we have not got that.

What a load of tosh.

What will the resulting surface do in a fire? Burning acetone can release some very noxious substances.

Mixing that stuff in bulk requires a disposal method in bulk and we have not got that.
Mostly agree, but will just say that burning acetone by itself is very clean, producing mostly CO2 and water as byproducts.

Under fire everything will burn down to dust unless it is fireproof material.
I'm afraid 'fireproof' materials don't exist!
Even asbestos has a melting point of around 1000-1500°C
Fire resistant, or fire retardant, but not fireproof! ;)

I'm afraid 'fireproof' materials don't exist!
Even asbestos has a melting point of around 1000-1500°C
Fire resistant, or fire retardant, but not fireproof! ;)

Google seems using the word fireproof bricks for the fire bricks.

"How can you tell if bricks are fireproof?

이미지 검색결과

Firebricks are commonly whitish or pale yellow, though there may be other colors. They will be very exact in dimensions and edges, though used ones may have chips and ragged edges. You don't want any bricks that have a series of holes through them; that is an indication (not the only one) of newer hard common bricks.2015. 5. 11. " - Google
https://permies.com/t/46920/Identifying-Fire-Brick

What a load of tosh.

the adding of acetone is to dissolve the polystyrene so that it may be applied as a liquid.
The acetone evaporates as VOC's.
What is left is polystyrene, a brittle, fragile plastic (just how long do CD cases last unless you are very careful!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back