Recycling Aluminium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning a project in the near future that uses a lot of large aluminium angles and other shapes, and you can't go anywhere near a discussion on the material without hearing about how easy it is to recycle.
I've come across guides like this about building with aluminium, and ones like this about recycling it, but not much in the way of how to actually recycle any aluminium left over from home DIY jobs.

Can they be dealt with just like any other household aluminium, or are there special considerations that need to be made for scrap metal of this size and weight (e.g. recycling centres). Any advice would be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you've got a reasonable amount you can weigh it in at your local metal recyclers (not the council sites they'll just take it and give you nothing) and get paid for it. Nothing lost by taking it to one. If they don't want it (unlikely in my experience) they'll say.

As above.....make sure there's no other metals involved with it (like studs on castings, for example) but you'll need a fair bit to get the weight up.
Metal Recyclers (scrappers to you and me) will happily take it, but don't expect cash these days!
John :)

Sponsored Links
As John says above, cash payments are a thing of the past. You need proof of identity too. I usually (not that I do it that often unfortunately!) get my money as a credit through my debit card. They offer cheque payment as well at the one I use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back