Is this GRP roof of an acceptable standard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a question for you professional roofers!

I've just had an extension built and the GRP roof does not look great (in my opinion). The contractor has already had to adjust the overhang/canopy as it was completely wrong and collecting a lot of water; but, even after adjustment, some water still pools on it. Also, the roof windows suffer from water pooling too (which is resulting in very dirty windows). Would you guys mind looking at the attached pics and giving me your opinions? Btw, the canopy photo shows the status quo, i.e. after adjustment.

Attachments

• 20170828_102149.jpg
    20170828_102149.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 846
  • 20170909_161351.jpg
    20170909_161351.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 856
  • 20170909_161716.jpg
    20170909_161716.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 862
Sponsored Links
Doesn't look that bad but hard to see. To be honest those all glass panes can be fitted dead flat I've seen a few of them fitted onto a normal kerb upstand. Maybe the kerbs are on furrings and follow the overall fall of the roof?

Maybe I'm talking utter shyte

Sponsored Links
I’ve just bought some flat roof lights. Not fitted yet but the instructions do state a fall. Not sure of exact but was something like 3%

Not great but should be OK, the problem you have is that, that lower step is a very short run.
When the drip edges on a GRP roof are formed the glass matting is lapped over the profiles, which results in a thickening at that point.
On an ordinary length run the water would gain a bit of speed as it runs down the roof enough to overcome that slight lip. In this instance it can't.

On the subject of the roof lights. those plain glass panels are OK to just fit following the pitch of the roof

Not sure because of the picture and my eyes are not what they were but is that muck on the top surface (20170909_161716) on the third picture or the white of the fibreglass laminate showing through under the topcoat? if it's the fibreglass you can see then they haven't applied enough topcoat. While you do need to apply topcoat sparingly, it should still cover the main laminate.

Not sure because of the picture and my eyes are not what they were but is that muck on the top surface (20170909_161716) on the third picture or the white of the fibreglass laminate showing through under the topcoat? if it's the fibreglass you can see then they haven't applied enough topcoat. While you do need to apply topcoat sparingly, it should still cover the main laminate.
Very good question, i hadn't noticed that myself! I can't tell from even from the high-res pic, so i'll need to have a look...
I was mostly worried about the ponding.

Edit: turns out it is just muck; however, there is white fibreglass visible on the apex of the upstand. Is that ok?

Last edited:
Very good question, i hadn't noticed that myself! I can't tell from even from the high-res pic, so i'll need to have a look...
I was mostly worried about the ponding.

Edit: turns out it is just muck; however, there is white fibreglass visible on the apex of the upstand. Is that ok?

Any chance you could post a pic?

Attachments

• 20170922_103455.jpg
    20170922_103455.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
That doesn't look good and I would get them back to fix that, exposed fibreglass anywhere on the roof is not a good thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back