Is this kettling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vokera Unica 32 HE that sometimes makes a loud noise when drawing hot water from the taps. It's done it for the last 2 years. No noises whatsoever on CH. CH water is clean and clear.

The noise isn't really like a kettle boiling. It only happens if the hot water tap is opened part way, and even then it's perhaps only 1 in 10 times. Fully opening the hot tap is fine (which is what I do most of the time). I'll try to describe the noise... Open tap part way and water flows. The boiler fires up within a few seconds, with a normal noise. About 5 seconds later the bad noise starts. It starts abruptly, with no buildup at all. It sounds as if you put your head next to the exhaust pipe of a noisy motorbike when it's idling. It's a constant droning noise, quite loud. Whenever it happens I turn the tap off straight away. The noise then stops within a couple of seconds. It doesn't just stop, but has a sudden increase in pitch at the end that lasts for about half a second and then is gone completely. I've tried to record it but it's intermittent so it's hard. If my description is too poor to understand I'll try again...

Is it kettling? I've never knowingly heard kettling before.
Whatever it is, it only happens at low HW flows. Is this something that can be adjusted by someone by adjusting a setting on the boiler?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back