Is this leak at the corner of my windows problematic?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In one of the bedrooms, the bottom corner of the double glazing windows becomes damp when it rains heavily. I THINK it's because there's a bad seal on the outside of the windowsill? I can only guess, the wet sits on plaster then dries up pretty quickly when the rain stops.

There's an old conservatory with slanted roof below the window so it's not as simple as getting a ladder up there and checking out the sealant, if I get someone out it'll have to be full scaffolding to get there (unless they have hobbies involving hanging out of windows)

I guess my real question is am I at any significant risk of the entire frame coming out because of the faulty points? Is there a way I could fix it from the inside? Stick some kind of foam or sealant in the hole on the inside (I poked it while wet and now there's a hole don't ask)

I've added some photos of what it looks like when rained through, as well as the aforementioned hole. (the crack in the plaster in the last photo was because the plaster was put on then left to dry in the blazing hot sun and it didn't like it)

Attachments

• 20200709_082252.jpg
    20200709_082252.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200709_082256.jpg
    20200709_082256.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200709_082159.jpg
    20200709_082159.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
A bit more info would be helpful.

Given the lack of windowboard or reveal is the window set in Single brickwork or set back a long way from outside.

It looks like a bay or dormer.

My guess is you either have a leak or you just have plaster touching the external skin with no barrier in between.

An outside pic would be more helpful.

No the window won't fall out, not for the next 50 years, it's just a bit of damp ingress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back