Is this legal or safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
this is in a rental - would this pass a safety certificate?
20190419_171037 (002).jpg

Sponsored Links
this is in a rental - would this pass a safety certificate?
Is that just paint (and/or plaster) on an exposed bit of (intact) cable? If the exposed bit of cable is intact (no tears, holes etc.!), it's probably both legal and 'safe', albeit obviously very shoddy!

Kind Regards, John

they have taken the feed from the socket in the photo, cut it off and then run the cable over the top and down to a new socket.. very odd

Sponsored Links
they have taken the feed from the socket in the photo, cut it off and then run the cable over the top and down to a new socket.. very odd
How did they have enough cable to do that? - how far below the old socket is the new one?

Kind Regards, John

from what i can see, they have a cable running down the wall to the old socket, they have cut this off 4 inches above and joined (using a white connection block wrapped with insulation tape) and run a new (old) cable down the wall over the socket to the new one 2 ft below the old one externally.

from what i can see, they have a cable running down the wall to the old socket, they have cut this off 4 inches above and joined (using a white connection block wrapped with insulation tape) and run a new (old) cable down the wall over the socket to the new one 2 ft below the old one externally.
Well, if that's what they've done, then to answer your initial question .... the "connection block wrapped with insulation tape" is neither 'safe' nor compliant with the Wiring Regulations (BS7671), and arguably is not even 'legal' (compliant with Part P of the Building Regulations, which require that electrical work does not pose a risk of injury).

Kind Regards, John

didnt think so, might have to have a word with the owner as its a medium term holiday rental!
Fair enough.

To be clear, as I said initially, if that bit of exposed cable in your photo is 'intact', then it is not unsafe, contrary to any regulations or illegal. However, what you have subsequently told us about a connector block wrapped in tape (which we haven't seen) is rather a different matter, particularly if it is 'accessible'!

Kind Regards, John

Frank, can you step back a couple of feet and take a wider view picture?

Sorry, no, we have left the property as the hot water failed, the fan heater in the bathroom (8" from the shower) was hanging off the wall and there were so many issues we decided it wasn't safe for us to stay. I am writing to the owner as it was described as "boutique" and the photos must have been from 10years ago.

thanks anyway, help appreciated.

It is normally required that a tool or key is required to access any live parts, with the exception of a ceiling rose. As to if the trunking lid could be removed without a tool we don't know, the same applies to insulation tape, if self amalgamating tape is used, it would likely need cutting off, i.e. needs a tool, and it was common to tape over self amalgamating tape with normal tape after to stop it sticking to other items.

The same applies to consumer unit blanks, some can be removed with finger nails so would not comply, others need some thing to lever them off, so would comply. As to with an EICR there is anything which one could code not so sure, the Electrical safety council have published best practice guides which I don't totally agree with, but seem to indicate both items I would say need a code are not coded, and reverse.

There would likely be a note with an EICR saying it was not to expected standard, it is rather poor workmanship, but as to getting a code not so sure, I am sure most electricians would have replaced original socket with a FCU then extended from that, or used crimps and shrink sleeve and removed it, however one can hardly say it's no safe, to gain access to live parts from what you say, it would require some dismantling, so hard to say dangerous, even if it did not technically comply with BS7671.

Remember BS7671 is not law, although can be used in a court of law, any similar set of regulations can be used, German sockets do not comply with British regulations, however there is nothing stopping people using them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back