Is this lime plaster?

J

jg321

Hi all,

Just bought a 1930s semi in Altrincham (South Manchester), and I need some advice before we start decorating. I've got a few questions based on the attached pictures, and general knowledge of 30s houses!

1) What is this on the walls? Is it lime plaster?
2) Can I patch up small holes like the one in the picture, and the odd chase around some new sockets with Gypsum one-coat plaster?
3) Subject to it looking crap due to the odd cracks, can I paint onto this directly with normal emulsion?
4) Will it be possible to get this skimmed over with gypsum plaster?

And finally - I need a good local plasterer, as long term, we want to skim most of the walls/ceilings in the house - so please get in touch if this is you! Ideally I want someone used to 1930s houses, although if they're from around here, they probably are!

Thanks in advance, and I hope my questions aren't too stupid!

JG

IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0064.JPG

Sponsored Links
is it very crumbly like sand? Could be a sand cement mix like mine, just water 5050 pva it and use bonding plaster to fill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back