Is this mould?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently lined and wallpapered our kitchen using a vinyl paper. After two weeks we got patches in the picture. It is behind the wallpaper.

We deal with condensation and mould by heating and ventilating but wonder if this is mould and if so what can reasonably be done?

Sponsored Links
Could be damp, soon to be mould.

What was on the wall before? What's on the other side or the wall and above?

Hi Paul
It was a painted wall before with no mould. It's an internal wall in the kitchen although the other side is single story with no ingress. It has flummoxed me. Ben

Could have something to do with the paste, tbh I don't know.

Is there anything in the ceiling or room above that could of sprung a leak?

Sponsored Links
Looks like the paste has activated some old distemper on the wall and is showing through. Its unlikley to be mould right in the middle of a wall. Mould usually occurs in corners or low down behind furniture.

Hi Paul and Robbie
Agreed it's probably not mould. I'm frustrated because I lined the walls with 1000 grade paper as the plasterwork wasn't great. Left it a day to dry completely then wallpapered.

The paper itself is a vintage 1980's Laura Ashley vinyl. I wondered whether wall paper, or just vinyl paper, goes off? Not sure how though.

There are no leaks, not even damp or condensation. We open windows to cook etc.

The patches are pretty much everywhere now, increasing quite a lot.

I used Managers paste and used the same stuff elsewhere with other paper and got no reaction.

The only thing I can think of is that the paper has had some sort of reaction.

Oh well, it's up for Christmas!

Ben

I think the clue to your problem are the words "Laura Ashley!!" :evil:

Are you saying the wallpaper rolls were over 20 Years Old as well ????

Paper that old can become like parchment or blotting paper, they could suck all sorts from the walls ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back