Removing Bathroom Ceiling Wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I am a novice in this project and have never done any wallpaper stripping and painting so would truly appreciate your all experienced inputs..!!

Pls look at the attached photos of the wallpaper in the bathroom. It has cracked from one corner and due to lack of proper ventilation has developed mould on it. I want to take this ceiling paper off and paint it with some water/ mould proof paint that will prevent future mould. I have now got a extractor fan installed so hopefully I will have better ventilation in future, but at present this wallpaper is buggered. This is a 70s made flat and I am told that the ceiling is concrete slab.

Can someone please tell me the best way to remove this wallpaper safely and what type of filler and paint should I use later to complete the job..!!

Thanks for your comments in advance and pls do ask if you need any more details which I might have missed..!!

Link to pics:

//www.diynot.com/network/SIDD/albums/

Sponsored Links
Thats not wallpaper its artex.

Two options really

1. Try and scrape it off ( a wallpaper steamer softens it)

2. Scrape off the loose stuff and have a plasterer skim it

The concrete slab needs priming with a watered down coat of emulsion 70% paint to 30% water. Then fill with a ready mixed filler, i use toupret but you could use polycell or red devil. Rub down and prime the filler with the same watered down paint you did the sealer coat with. As a finish coat if you're worried about mould you could go with zinnser permawhite.

Thats not wallpaper its artex.

Two options really

1. Try and scrape it off ( a wallpaper steamer softens it)

2. Scrape off the loose stuff and have a plasterer skim it

The concrete slab needs priming with a watered down coat of emulsion 70% paint to 30% water. Then fill with a ready mixed filler, i use toupret but you could use polycell or red devil. Rub down and prime the filler with the same watered down paint you did the sealer coat with. As a finish coat if you're worried about mould you could go with zinnser permawhite.

Thanks for your reply

I didnt know it was something called artex..!! If instead of removing it can I get some type of filler or paste and skim over it so the surface becomes smooth and then paint over it...?

Sponsored Links
There are products which claim to be able to be used to skim over artex as a DIYer, but you will make a bodge of it and will regret not taking dcdec's advice.

Ok..i guess i would better off scraping it off with help of a wallpaper steamer..!! thanks

But, if you scrape it all off (baring in mind some old artex contains asbestos) you'll still have a bit of damage to repair I would think.

Still, the cost of skimming is probably too much so get ready to scrape and repair. Have fun!

Good point about the asbestos, forgot about that. Its all a bit debatable the asbestos thing, you can get a test done, just google, but a plasterer shouldn't charge much to go over the ceiling so thats your best option i reckon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back