want to replace wallpaper with paint in bathroom-good idea?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
the wallpaper in our bathroom is peeling off and there are some signs/spots of mould so i'd like to take the wallpaper off and paint the bathroom walls. I've never done any decorating before, so have a few questions (apologies if they might sound silly) and would really appreciate any advice.
Firstly, is it good idea? If so, after removing the wallpaper (it was a special wallpaper for bathrooms and lasted for about 8years, bathroom does get steamy), do i also need to remove the plaster underneath and put a new plaster on? if i don't need to remove the plaster on the walls, do i need to treat the old plaster somehow before i can paint? If i need to put a new plaster - any specific brand/make?
Been to homebase and they said that i can use any 'bathroom paint' to paint the walls. Is that right? I've done some search on internet but i'm more confused than i was before so really hoping for some advice from you guys. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you want a really nice finish then it will need 'skimming' but that isn't a job you'll get right first go. If it's a small room better get someone in for a few quid - it'll add more than the cost in value to the house. Then any bathroom paint will do (or eggshell).

Bathroom paint is Acrylic egshell ;) Jo`s right again

you do not have to get the room replastered.

However you do have to remove all traces of the old paste before painting. I like to do it with hot water and a metal scraper, you scrape the slimy paste off and wipe it on a rag or your sleeve.

Patch up any blemishes in the plaster and when you think it is perfectly flat and smooth, give it a couple of coats of matt white emulsion. This will highlight any remaining blemishes.

I like to press any patches into place with a broad metal filling knife, and scrape them flush with the surrounding surface before they have fully hardened. It is quicker and cleaner than trying to sand smooth.

Then repeat the painting and inspection before you apply your finish paint.

Bare plaster has to be painted first with a mist coat of thinned emulsion to kill the absorbency ("suction")

Sponsored Links
you do not have to get the room replastered.

Didn't realise you'd seen the job John. Sorry. Most people wallpaper when the walls are shot rather than plastering.

:LOL:

you do not always have to get the room replastered.

Many thanks to everyone.
We plan to have the bathroom completely re-done sometime next year (hopefully) - we will get someone to do it.
I don't want to create more work/problems, just to 're-fresh' and get rid of mouldy wallpaper.
One last question, shall i use some kind of filler to patch up the blemishes?
Many thanks.
Ludi

yes

if they are not especially big or deep, filling will do. remove all loose, cracked, flaky material and dust. It may help to brush in PVA diluted with water into the surface, but remove it from any surface you might want to paint.

It is a bit slow and fiddly but no problem for a DIYer. Replastering or skimming needs a lot more skill but less time.

I find finish plaster easier and quicker than polyfilla-type stuff (also far cheaper). Clean your mixing tub thoroughly before making each batch.

press it hard into the blemish with a broad metal knife or trowel so it is flat with the surroundings, scrape off any excess with a broad metal scraper before it is fully hard (this is easier and cleaner than trying to sand it). If you need to apply a thin layer over a larger area, mix it up quite thin and use a plasterers trowel.

p.s. if you have got mould, you need to improve ventilation and reduce condensation. This is a good time to hire a core drill to make a duct for an extractor fan (ask on Building forum)

Given that you are doing a temp job then i would agree that patching the walls rather than replastering makes sense. Plastering would be the better option in the longer term.

I would recommend the Red Devil One Time filler. It is one of the premixed light weight fillers. Unlike the powder fillers it is not cellulose or gypsum based so when you sand it the dust does not become statically charged and cling to everything. it is very easy to sand but does take a while to dry, depending on the depth. It does cost more- about £19 for 4L but it is worth every penny.

I sand the walls with a random orbital sander (connected to dust extractors) to remove all traces of glue and paper. If you don't have access to one then do as John suggested. It will be easy to see any missed spots as the mist coat will craze and take ages to dry.

Then carry on as per john's recommendations.

Now seems as good a time as any to deal with the condensation, if you already have an extractor fan then get one with a bigger diameter. Also consider ones with built in humidistats, this will keep the fan running until the air humidity drops below a predefined point. Avoid extractors that only come on when the lights are turned on- who turns the lights on to shower on summer days? If you want to suck smells away as well then a fan with a humidistat and PIR will be ideal, eg

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/Aidelle_Icon_Fans/index.html

btw check which "zone" it is in- otherwise you might need a low voltage fan- refer to the electrics section of the forum for definitive advice. Either way you will need an rcd

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/news/9556...-includes-new-requirements-for-bathrooms.html

Good luck

Best cheapo filler I've ever found is Wickes Plasterboard Adhesive - don't laugh - it says on the back of the bag you can use it as a general purpose filler. At £6.50 for a 25K bag - it's very economical. Way better than Pollyfiller.

Best cheapo filler I've ever found is Wickes Plasterboard Adhesive - don't laugh - it says on the back of the bag you can use it as a general purpose filler. At £6.50 for a 25K bag - it's very economical. Way better than Pollyfiller.

When I dry lined my garage I wish i had used that rather than the wickes jointing compound- the latter is a mare to sand back

I did use the stuff you are talking about when I dot'n'dabbed one of the walls in my bathroom recently and agree that it was easy to sand back spillages.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back