Is this normal please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some advice.Recently moved into a bungalow .Its got a ideal mexico floor mounted bolier with tank in airing cupboard and little tank in loft.When the heating is started the overflow pipe from the small header tank in loft drips for about 20 mins.Is this normal is it condensation or something ?

Sponsored Links
It is not normal. You should not have any discharge from this pipe.

any idea how to fix it.I havent looked in the header tank is it just a question of bending a ballcock or something to reduce water level.I havent got much spare cash at moment

Sponsored Links
How high is the vent pipe over the header tank
The OP said water was coming out of the overflow. Perhaps he could confirm which pipe it is?

The vent is the pipe which loops over the top of the tank.

The overflow is the pipe which comes out of the side of the tank, near the top, and exits through the wall of the house.

I have been up in the loft to have a look,the water seems to be coming from the overflow hole set about half way down the header tank.The heating is off at the moment and the water level is just below the hole for the overflow.

So when i turn the heating on the level must rise I guess and cause it to run out of the hole for the overflow.

Is there an adjustment to set the ballcock would it need to be lower or higher "the ballcock" to lower the level?
I have taken some pics but its a bit dark up there and its hard to see from pics

If I go up there and scoop some water out with a jug wont the level rise again leaving me in the same position?

you only want about 4 inches of water as it will expand when heatings on,best is to empty some of the water out and adjust the ball valve,or if its letting by replace .

the valve looks like its not letting water go in as it wasnt dripping out of the valve.How do I adjust the level lower please?do I just bend the rod on the end of the ballcock

How do I adjust the level lower please?do I just bend the rod on the end of the ballcock
That's correct. Crude but effective.

Let the heating system cool right down.
Bail water out of the tank until the ball valve starts to open.
If the water level is more than two inches above the outlet near the bottom of the tank, the arm needs bending down.

The idea is that the valve starts to open before the level reaches the outlet but still leave enough room for the water to expand without the level rising to the overflow.

Cheers guys Ill let it cool down and have a go later.Ill probably be on here later saying I now have a pipe in my hand and water is ****ing through my ceiling "knowing my luck"

Thank you for the advice just emptied 6 litres out and bent the rod down the level had dropped by over an inch and just turned the heating on nothing coming out of the overflow now BRILLIANT. thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back