Is this Oak?

Since when was MDF "traditional".
Oh, since about 1980, I'd say

It's a lot of work for a slight colour change, no two will ever be the same being that oak is a natural product.
Oak will also change colour with exposure to light. For example American white oak is very pale as raw timber, American red oak has to my eyes a pinkish tinge when freshly cut, but both mellow to a more subdued light honey colour over 3 to 4 years

Anyway, if I were to wax it to get the same finish as the showroom rather than the matt, splintered finish currently on it, would that wreck the venear/MDF under it?
You can certainly try using a tinted wax and it won't harm the material beneath, which in any case is probably finished with a 2-pack clear lacquer (this being a factory-made item). The wax won't completely fill the grain though

Sponsored Links
i wouldnt be using anything to knock it back to the colour you want,
big all has advised you to go down the route of rejection.this is your right as a consumer.
sale of goods act is there to protect the consumer over the very thing you have ended up with,and yet you seem to be not to bothered,if it was me i would be paying them a visit with some faqs and tell them to replace with what is advertised for the amount you were charged.

dreams said:
Solid Oak with Oak veneers

I would read that as crappy grade oak laminated and covered with a decent oak veneer, not oak veneered chipboard.

Trading standards do recognize solid oak can be laminated, I know they have taken issue in the past with veneered chip/mdf sold as solid, or solid veneered.

Sponsored Links
dreams said:
Solid Oak with Oak veneers

I would read that as crappy grade oak laminated and covered with a decent oak veneer, not oak veneered chipboard.

Trading standards do recognize solid oak can be laminated, I know they have taken issue in the past with veneered chip/mdf sold as solid, or solid veneered.

Yes that's what they have in the shops, they have admitted that between me ordering and them delivering they have changed the spec and that the showroom models no longer match what they are sending out to customers.

They made their showrooms aware of the change a week after we ordered and are in the process of updating their displays. We are caught in the middle after ordering from a website which describes a Tradional Wooden bed which you can go and touch in their stores and the rubbish MDF they are now sending out.

They admitted they can't supply the bed we saw, offered us a different bed which we rejected, I'm now waiting to hear that they've refunded and want to arrange collection.

They sound like a nightmare to get money out of but I've got plenty of documented evidence plus voice recordings so they won't have a leg to stand on if I take them to the Small Claims court, in the meantime my credit card issuer is jointly responsible so I'll try them first if I get no joy.

All I want is the nice bed I ordered, why do people make things so difficult?!

They are probably about to go bust so they can't refund even if they want to.

Wouldn't be surprised tbh whenever we went in the place was empty and the staff barely noticed we were there . They are selling mdf when next door is selling oak for the same price.

Well they've taken it back and should be issuing a refund imminently, went into store to double check and they have indeed changed the display model to reflect what they now send out rather than what they had on display when we ordered. Helpfully, they have broken the display model to show how poor it is now, they managed to split the MDF when assembling this brand new bed! Having said that, they have a new model which is actually solid still so am tempted if they managed the refund ok!

View media item 57230

I don't know what else you expected going to dreams anyway.

It's difficult to know where to buy from,independents tend to be very expensive, then you have the likes of Harvey's and furniture village again extremely expensive. We got some really nice stuff from oak furniture land yet you read the reviews and people have problems just like any other retailer. I always pay on a credit card to cover my back though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back