Is this ok ? Cutting 45 degree on either end of my steel

Sorry, Hitachimad, your spec's are lost on me. Can you explain a bit more, please?
Edited:
It's OK, I've just looked it up, RSC = tapered flange, PFC = Parallel Flange Channel
Aren't they more or less the same? Rolled Steel Channel being the old term for it?

Just looked up some prices:
152X89 £14.40 per metre
150X90 PFC £22.71 per metre.

Just for Gasgas information ('cos I feel guilty at hijacking the thread)
The RSJ supplier should be able to supply ready made tapered ends, e.g.:
http://steelandsite.com/RSJ-Steel/RSJ-Universal-Beams.html

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, we always have a job getting RSC in decent sizes easily, PFC seems to be the norm. Just a thought about PFC, might save a little hassle on gathering materials.

Just an update:
I exposed the roof structure and the BI and architect came round to inspect.
We've agreed that the new RSJ does not need to extend beyond the kitchen wall to the external wall, i.e. just need to replace the existing wooden beam/purlin across the kitchen with the new RSJ. So it doesn't even need to pick up the existing hip rafter. That will be picked up by the new trusses, although the BI will say if anything else is needed.

It also seems that the architect was designing with a "belt, braces, strops & string" approach because it seems I might not need the additional pier.
We've agreed that once I expose the footings for where the new pier will be built, the BI may agree a pier is not needed.

He's already agreed that where possible I can re-use the exisiting footings for external walls.

Sponsored Links
Red Herring 2 dont worry.

I cut my steel at 40 degrees half way up each end. The building inspector didnt blink an eye and the arhitect was also happy.

Sorted :LOL:

Just got to sort everything else out now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back