Possible RSJ with welded under plate twisted

Thanks John, I've read many of Tony's posts on here so can see he's a knowledgeable person, I was therefore very pleased he chose to comment and of course I listened. I'm not sure your opinion that person who fabricated and delivered the steel doesn't have any knowledge is entirely justified (how would you know?) but do appreciate it was probably more your own way of supporting Tony's input which is a very nice thing to see on the forum.

Sponsored Links
To be fair, I've not met any structural engineers with a sideline in delivering steels, but there maybe one round your way

I think mikeey has put it quite well! I was just meaning to say don't follow the majority or even the most confident sounding people, as not everyone deserves the same voting rights in the conversation! The only person following a scientific approach is tony.

I think mikeey has put it quite well! I was just meaning to say don't follow the majority or even the most confident sounding people, as not everyone deserves the same voting rights in the conversation! The only person following a scientific approach is tony.
Hold on there..... I’m an expert bodger. Ordering stuff on the cheap, making **** up as I go then working around the consequences is my specialty.

Sponsored Links
My original question was has anyone seen or suffered similar issues or got any sensible advice, not let me know who has the most/best knowledge or who is qualified enough to comment on the subject of building activities involving steel so let's put that down to humorous banter.

I've been a bit more methodical today assessing the situation after discovering it. It's actually 5mm deviance over 3600mm not 10mm as first thought, looks like the steel is just off the vertical by a mill or two. Could be the effect of torsional loading as suggested by Tony (thank you), could just be a not too straight bit of steel but as mentioned, I'll double check with architect and SE on that. Thanks everyone for your inputs.

This might seem a bit ott, but is it too late to take down just the outer skin; prop the outstand plate at third points and very gently ease it up
a little more than the 5mm deflection. And then re-build the outer skin, but incorporating ladder reinforcement in alternate courses, and tailing the reinforcement a reasonable distance beyond the ends of the beam. This would turn the outer skin brickwork into a beam, which would put less load on the steel plate.

Thats interesting, Ive not come across them before

They're twin strands of crimped stainless steel wires (not to be confused with rolls of expamet, which is not intended to be used as proper bed-joint reinforcement).

Attachments

• cap vv.PNG
    cap vv.PNG
    742.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
(not to be confused with rolls of expamet, which is not intended to be used bed-joint reinforcement

Ive known brickies use expamet for that purpose.....I had wondered about it, I mean its expanded metal, it expands.

That's very creative thinking Tony thank you, I have considered pulling it down or maybe using strong boys and rebuilding some of it a few course up off the plate after propping it straight but (and its difficult I know if you haven't seen it) it probably is going a bit OTT for what it is,,, that's not to say I wont but I'm not overly keen but I might have a chat with the brickie and sound him out.

Ive known brickies use expamet for that purpose.....I had wondered about it, I mean its expanded metal, it expands.
I assumed that stuff was the brickwork equivalent of scrim tape! It'll stop things falling off but nothing much more

i fit aerials for a living so i know nothing however i did pay SE his money and yes the guy that made my steals said they would hold up a block of flats and the welder of 30 years exsperience said there wont be any deflection in them and they are all correct over speck every time i say this site has helped me loads with my build and with out people like woody i too may have thought is was ok to skimp and bodge my way only to end up wishing id ha2ve payed the money the only guy who knows less than me on my job is the BCO

Good job you didn't skimp and bodge fatnose, we all agree that is no way to go about things. Not sure over specifying every time is always the way to go though in some instances it doesn't hurt. Sometimes though over specifying is not the best policy. If you over spec a boiler it could operate less efficiently so cost more to run and would have cost more to buy as well for no good reason, that's spending money for no gain or purpose. There are lots of helpful sorts on the forum but as it's said, you can't please all the people all of the time and inevitably there are differences of opinion on how someone puts across their view. I can see Woody has helped many here and with good advice, it's guys like this who really make a difference to a forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back