Glulam Beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Nearly at wall plate height so my next job is sorting out the roof. I'm building a gable ended vaulted ceiling ( room is 4.5m x 4m ). I'm looking at a 4m Glulam beam (140 x270) with 8x2 rafters 600mm apart birds mouthed and then bolted together at the ridge. Do you think 8x2 will be ok or should i go 9x2? And is c16 ok or does it need to c24? Also i'm taking a 3m load bearing internal wall out. i was going to put a rsj through but im tempted to put a glulam beam into match the one in the vaulted ceiling. Is there any calculations i can use for the size req rather than the steel rsj?

Thanks with any help as usual

ps i have no drawings or structual eng plans so i'd rather go too big

Sponsored Links
ps i have no drawings or structual eng plans
Time to speak to an SE before it's too late.

We're building something very similar and the SE has worked out that the GF openings lintel needs to be a structural steel affair simply because of the additional loading on the gable end due to the ridge beam loading.

How have you gone about it thus far? Guess work?

No guess work so far but its never too late! All gone ok so far bar the wall tie spacing which was easily rectified with help from a few on here. I feel fairly confident with the roof just wanted peoples views if it sounded right. I might have to get a structural engineer for the interior beam as i feel less confident about that one

Cheers

No guess work so far but its never too late! All gone ok so far bar the wall tie spacing which was easily rectified with help from a few on here. I feel fairly confident with the roof just wanted peoples views if it sounded right. I might have to get a structural engineer for the interior beam as i feel less confident about that one

Cheers
Are you qualified to prove any of the structural elements?

Sponsored Links
No but had my 3 year old lad out testing it with his plastic hammer he thinks I've done a cracking job
Bc been out and they're more than happy so far told him my plans for the roof which he said should be fine. Just a bit unsure now if i should go with c16 or c24 timber

Bc been out and they're more than happy so far told him my plans for the roof which he said should be fine.
And when the sign off time arrives and they kindly ask you for calc's what then? At some point, you are likely to be asked for calculations to prove your beams so why not get them before rather than after?

Haha, that beam will be fine as it's only the ridge for the rafters to lean on

Original plan was to have a ridge board so a 140x270 glulam should be more than man enough.....if not keep your eye on the diy disasters forum!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back