Vaulted ceiling insulation over ridge beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have some plans for an extension whihc shows a vaulted ceiling. The ridge beam is a wooden Glulam type. The insulation on the sloping surfaces is 100mm between rafters and 40mm underneath but what about the beam. What would people have under this? I see some beams are exposed so obviously have nothing whereas others are enclosed. The problem is this will directly effect the glass gable end wall and how much glass can be added.

The images below show glass right up into the apex of the building but with no flat to the top. They must have a ridge beam in there but presumably cant have 140mm of insulation below them otherwise they wouldnt get the glass into that point..

article2.jpg

SMART+GLASS+GABLE+END+WINDOWS.jpg

Sponsored Links
Whats the question? Is it "Do I need a ridge beam"?

If so, no you don't. That king post truss is replacing the need for a ridge beam in that image, as would a couple of steel rafters within the roof.

Whats the question? Is it "Do I need a ridge beam"?

If so, no you don't. That king post truss is replacing the need for a ridge beam in that image, as would a couple of steel rafters within the roof.

Sorry Woody if i wasnt clear. The question is regarding insulation below a ridge beam - in this case a Glulam (wood 360mm deep) - is it required? This directly effects the size of the window in the gable end and I want to maximise this window as much as possible. Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the beam is below the rafters then the chances of a thermal bridge are low, so the need for insulation is negated. If the beam is a ridge level, then it would need an assesment for thermal bridging risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back