is this ok ? garden office ?

16 May 2010
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Building a garden office/music room at end of garden just somewhere i can crank guitar amp up and not annoy everybody i know with crap guitar playing !

It needs to be warm and a bit sound proofed

Got the base down 100mm hardcore/ 100mm concrete with damp proof membrane.

Building a 100mm x 50 mm frame, Which will be clad in 22mm loglap.

Then filled with 75mm kingspan (got cheap from eBay) fill any gaps with expandable foam in a can, then i was going to fix a 50 mm frame on the main frame and fill this with some 50mm rockwool accoustic slabs then fit resillent bars and finish with 2 layers of soundbloc plasterboard caulk all gaps with an accoustic mastic.

The few questions I have are :

1. Do i need a air gap between loglap and insulation ?

2. Where do i put the breathable membrane ? and vapour membrane ?

3. What is a breathable membrane ? (roofing breathable menbrane?)

4. what is a vapour check membrane ?

5. i have been told to leave an air gap in the roof joists between insulation and plywood deck(cold roof) do i need any membranes on roof ?
If i put noggings on the roof joists how does the air circulate around them ? surely the nogging would stop air flow ?

many thanks
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
doing all that will not make it warm, just keep the heat in from any form of heating you have.
? but all rooms are the same there is no magical way it can heat up, its about keeping the heat in, and not waste heat ?
Do i need a air gap between loglap and insulation

It's usual just in case there is any water penetration - 25 mm should be ok

\2. Where do i put the breathable membrane ? and vapour membrane

Don't need the former in the walls. Vapour barrier between the plasterboard and the frame.

what is a vapour check membrane ?

Fitted on the "warm" side of insulation to prevent moisture-laden warm air passing through the insulation and condensing within the wall when it cools down on meeting cold from outside.

Or if you mean "what does it look like ? " , then it is either a plastic-sheet or a foil-backing on the plaster-board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local