Is this okay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a prolonged leak of the supply pipe to the toilet cistern, I've had to take up the floor tiles in the shower-room and am looking to replace the chipboard with ply before re-tiling.

After I pulled up the floor tiles I found this:

IMG_7264.JPG

Looks a bit cack-handed but I'm no heating engineer.

What do you guys reckon? While I've got the floor up would seem a good time to get a pro in to inspect and remedy as necessary.

Or will they tell me it's not a problem?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Well I may end up having to get rid of the lot since the pipe to the towel rail goes over the joist so will not be able to fit new ply floor on top of it. The owner of this handiwork left a void under the tiles to accommodate the pipe over the joist.

What about that push-fit reducer? Get rid also?

I can only assume the ballofix valve was to facilitate taping into the pipe to fit the towel rail without having to repeatedly turn the water off from the mains.

On further investigation, I can't see a way of getting a supply from the pipe over to the wall for the towel rail without fouling the floor.

I noticed that the electrical cables have a hole drilled for them through the middle of the joist. If I called a plumber would he be able to drill a suitable hole in the joist to allow a supply to the towel rail on the wall or is this not done for copper pipes?

Going over the joist as the last person has done will mean that the new piece of ply will have to be cut to allow it and there would be a void under the tiles. Plus it just looks ****!

Sponsored Links
Notch the joist? As Dan says though, remove the isolator valve at least. Joist can be drilled if required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back