Is this patio concrete thick enough to secure patio canopy posts to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a patio canopy secured to the house at the back. The front will have 3 X 100mm 3m posts.

I was concerned about securing the posts to the patio as I dont know whats underneath and thought high winds may pull the patio up or something. They are porcelain tiles. So I decided to put the posts in the earth just off the patio and concrete them in.

Well.... digging just one hole let alone 4 is killing me, taking the best part of a day. Thought 800mm depth will be OK for a 3m post, so front of canopy posts 2.2m high. Its quite compacted and full of rocks, so its a nightmare. I use large crow bar mainly to break it away, then remove, but it just takes ages and hurts.

I have revealed whats underneath, and the thickness of the concrete. Do you think its OK to secure the posts onto the patio and the concrete base underneath which is about 1.5 to 2 inches? See picture.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3112.jpg
    IMG_3112.jpg
    597.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Forgot to say I do have a post hole digger. It’s no good for this soil. Same as spade, too many rocks so they just hit hard surface. I’ve got to break it all up with a crow bar and the post hole digger just removes the earth.

I’ve bought a hand auger to try because to rent a Petrol one and buy one costs too much for me.

so was really hoping that concrete is thick enough to secure posts through the tiles! I’m assuming it’s doubtful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back