Securing Canopy Legs ontop of dwarf wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am aiming to erect an aluminium / poly-carbonate carport on the side of my property covering 3 meters of my driveway immediately in front of my garage.

HPf3hFv.jpg

This is the style of canopy

DTxgFkl.jpg

There is a small dwarf wall of 700mm high and 225mm deep extending along the driveway and due to the narrow drive I will be securing the canopy legs on-top of this.

v1ajiWN.jpg

The canopy ideally requires the legs to be placed in a hole and concrete filled but this is not possible in my situation due to drive limited width (2288mm).

Can anyone suggest some methods to secure the supporting legs to the top of the wall? These feet come with the canopy but I imagine something more sturdy will be needed.

tdwrPIe.png

I was thinking of a fence post base like below and anchor bolts?

jZrozJ6.png

kXgcGPs.png

Thanks

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-26_11-58-37.png
    upload_2018-8-26_11-58-37.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
my thoughts but not an expert
try pushing the top off the wall with the sole off your foot to see if the wall feels solid and likely to fail
if not iff the hammer/sds drill do not dislodge any bricks you may be ok with bolt down metposts

What bolts do the manufacturer recommend. I'm wondering what the purpose of fixing it is... So that you can lean on it as you smoke a woodbine, or to secure it against upward suction, similar to a wall plate tie-down strap where you're attempting to mobilise more masonry than the force of the ip suction?

If the wall is sound. 300mm or so threaded rod and resin. All stainless steel. Don't just fix into a brick on edge.

Or have something fabricated that runs up the side of the wall then over the top into something similar to one of those post shoes.

Sponsored Links
If the wall is sound. 300mm or so threaded rod and resin. All stainless steel. Don't just fix into a brick on edge.

Or have something fabricated that runs up the side of the wall then over the top into something similar to one of those post shoes.

That sounds like a good idea thank you.

So my next question is do you recommend a resin to use and sounds daft but what is the best method for drilling straight down so that the rods don't end up coming at all sorts of angles? I have a hammer drill but no guides or anything. Wondered if there was any tricks to it.

Thanks

Any resin should be ok. Squeeze the first bit out as that tends not to be mixed properly.

It won't matter too much about the angle as you are only connecting to the thread close to the surface. But if you can't get anywhere near vertical, stand a brick on end with the corner close to the position of the hole. Or a can or tin or similar.

Galvanised rod will be fine if stainless is not available or too expensive. Just coat any cut edge.

OK so the canopy has arrived so time to get this done :)

I will use 8mm threaded bars in a 12mm hole. Any recommendation of how deep I need to go?

I calculated that if I was to go 300mm deep with the above diameter hole and bar I would need 18.85ml of resin each hole (cylinder area of hole - area of bar). Does this sound about right?

Estimate in my head while cleaning my teeth was more like minimum of 30ml
1cm AVG diameter x 3.14 is about 3cm
3cm x 0.4cm gap is about 1cm²
1cm² x 30cm deep is 30cc or 30ml.

In the days before resin, we would pour cement grout into the holes to hold bolts in. Still do.

Can anyone recommend a depth for the threaded bar? Don't want to go overkill but equally don't want to put stress on only the top layer of brick. Would 200mm be good? (65mm for brick x 3 + 2 x 10mm Morter).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back