Carport / Canopy Side Cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a carport canopy at the side of my bungalow that has been a great cover for my campervan the past 5 years.

Unfortunately the wind carries rain into the side and is causing some rust issues so I would like to clad this with something affordable, preferably white PVC but open minded.

This isn't mine but its similar to this:

CAM91Li.png

But my supporting legs are actually on a wall as per this diagram:

4cVpDBP.jpg

Basically I am thinking of sourcing 3000mm clads that would butt up secure to the outside of an existing supporting leg for a total 6000m length. This would need to be 1460mm in total height to go from the wall to meet the canopy.

Any ideas on what to search for? The cladding for houses seems like it might be a bit flimsy given they will need to be 3m lengths.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can't install any cladding without a supporting frame.
There are vertical supporting legs but spaced 3m apart. I was wondering if there is a cladding that would have enough rigidity to be OK with that.

No, you'll need some additional substructure. I would also consider making the cladding so it allows the wind through but not the rain.

Sponsored Links
No, you'll need some additional substructure. I would also consider making the cladding so it allows the wind through but not the rain.
I think it's the wind that's driving the rain in currently. I considered spaces between the clads but most systems I've seen are shiplap.

What would you suggest? Thanks

You'd need to start from scratch with the structural design. Take the wind loading into account then design whatever structure you need to withstand it.

If by chance yours is already over-designed and meets the requirements then go ahead and clad it. But as the posts are 3m apart this sounds unlikely.

If you add additional bracing between the existing posts then you are just transferring the new greater load to them. Chances are they, their fixings to the wall and possibly the wall itself are not up to the job.

You should tread carefully, or you could end up with no canopy at all the next time there's a storm.

Perhaps start by seeing what reputable off-the-shelf designs are available with a side panel, and see just how substantial they are.

Why won't you show us a picture of your actual carport?

How do your gutters and downpipes work?

Why will your campervan not withstand outdoor conditions?

Apart from issues about the structure itself being strong enough, and what you want it to look like;

Debris netting would stop the bulk of the rain and still allow some air through. The 3m gap would be fine, fixed top and bottom

Hit and miss is a good idea, in case you missed its meaning. Like this...

It would stop the rain. It would have less wind loading but definitely not none so still needs a ground-up design to ensure it's strong enough.

Thanks for all the tips so far. Although the canopy is shielded somewhat from wind and rain by property next door I have taken the advice to not fully clad the side in case it causes issues when strong winds.

I was somewhat suppressed by how much more corroded the side of the van was that is exposed, hence looking into this. The van is 40 years old so rust treatment wasn't what it is now and anything to slow the gradual demise is much appreciated :)

hoYpUX6.jpg

8XFWtuj.jpg

s3g3xaT.jpg

I am now thinking of some lightweight wooden batons (3m) with plenty of gap for air between which I can than fix debris netting to the inside near the van side.

If the wall belongs to you, you could add some more legs. They will not have much lateral strength as you are reliant on the bricks not pulling out.

At one time I used a sort of curtain down the side of mine, sold for gazebo sides, it kept the rain and wind out. It came with eyelets along the top and I used screw-eyes.

I can't see a gutter. Is there one? If not, water will cascade off the roof.

If you are near the sea there will be salt spray in the air at times which eats ordinary steel.

I can't see a gutter. Is there one? If not, water will cascade off the roof.
Well spotted, definitely way more likely to be the cause of any damp issues.

It looks like you may be shedding water onto your neighbour's land which is definitely not neighbourly and probably contravenes some regulation or other.

The problem you may have though is that it looks like the existing roof may meet or even cross the boundary as it is. It depends whether the boundary is the edge of the wall, the centre of it or somewhere beyond it. So a gutter added to it may be within their land/airspace. But if you could add a gutter though it would be good for everyone including your neighbour.

Add a new drain at the front right of the carport level with the driveway. Just needs the gutter to extend slightly out to the front then a downpipe from this, just needs a short 45 degree kink inwards at the top. Cut a trench across the tarmac and connect into the drain that's on the corner of the house. Hammer in a couple of bags of cold lay tarmac after, job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back