Brick on edge capping for dwarf wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm new to the forum so apologies upfront if I don't make my query clear enough.
I have a 1906 property and intend to erect a canopy over the front door. I will be building a dwarf wall and having uprights support the canopy.
For cost effectiveness I wanted to build the dwarf wall from breeze block and render it in lime, to tie in to the lime render around the bottom of the house (I renewed that myself so no worries there).
To tie in to the brick work and make the whole thing complete I wanted to finish the wall off with brick on edge capping, using some original bricks I managed to salvage when a builder took down part of an internal wall. I also wanted to put a layer of crease tiles under the capping to make it look nice.
The original bricks however are quite soft - London Reds apparently. Someone else called them Red Rubbers. Can I use these for the brick on edge capping or will they disintegrate?
Thanks so much for your time.

Sponsored Links
A brick capping such as you describe will have a high degree of exposure to the weather. If you re-use internal bricks, they are unlikely to last long and will break up in frost.
You need a frost-resistant brick.

If the bricks are sheltered, it would help. Otherwise, use your bricks, and when done and dry, coat then with a clear external waterproofer.

The tile crease needs to overhang the render by a good 40mm to cast rain of the wall, not just so it looks nice

Sponsored Links
Thank you Woody, that's a great idea! Apologies, I didn't see your reply until today.
Thanks again to you both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back