Is this Possible?

I was interested until:
They later forwarded a quote for a new worcester boiler as total 2000 plus vat == price that model can be had on internet plus 1300 [2000 = total for supply and fitting].

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/is-this-possible.472925/#ixzz4SfWhKfkW

We just want heat [and hot water]
(but don't necessarily care whether the fitter can pay his bills, run his business, or feed his family)

So having confirmed I have NO desire to see anyone's family starve, ....

Do you have any input either on the bit that was interesting before I whinged about the price.
Or an answer to my question about fair hourly rate. C'mon what's the rate inc. well fed families?

[AND Yes we have nasty London parking-extortion but also Yes we organise nice scratchcard visitor vouchers and will meet you at the door with them]

PS Not sure if your comments [warnings] about Tony are serious or joking. We may be both in London but still 2 hrs apart so not sure of even that yet.

PPS Of course I'm not Dutch., They don't winge half as much as we Brits. <<< also a joke.

ETA: Added a NO before desire, presume it was obvious that's what I intended to type

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OP, if you are Dutch, why aren't you insisting on an Intergas boiler if you choose to replace?

LOL. One of the two 30kw Intergas boilers I had installed in that house had a broken fan within 7 months. On the good side the plumbers merchant were called at 11am and an Intergas enngineer replaced it for free by 3pm.

Happily I no longer own that house so they're not my problem/pleasure/entertainment/whatever. But yeah, Intergas .... no thanks. The third was a Bosch combi and that had problems within it's first year too. Also made in NL.

Okay: If it sounds like the fan bearings have gone, it is likely the fan bearings have gone. Spraying silicon in the right place sometimes gets it going, but, in my experience, not for the long term.
Unless there is a known issue regarding power reduction to the fan on the particular boiler, then I doubt many would have tested. Because it sounds like the bearings gone.

It irritates me when folk look at an internet price for a boiler, then assume that:
Job Quote = internet price + (hourly rate x hours estimated by householder)

Some business' may buy off the internet, most (I believe) don't. A lot of IP rices are here today, gone tomorrow - installers need a certain level of price stability and service, which will be paid for.

I don't and won't get into what a "fair rate" should be - there are too may variables. But I will say that even if I could change a boiler in 5 hours or so, I would still be charging my daily rate. A quotation is never going to be exactly the right amount of hours - if, say, a 4 hour quote ran over by 2 hours (reasons being immaterial) then suddenly you are down to 2/3 rds of your normal hourly turnover. If a 6 hour job ran to exactly 6 hours, what do you do with the extra 1.5 hours. If you book a job in as a fill in, and the job over runs, then you have an upset client on your hands or you work late.

Last edited:
stop being a tight ass , do you want hot water and heating ??????????????????? .:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It irritates me when folk look at an internet price for a boiler, then assume that:
Job Quote = internet price + (hourly rate x hours estimated by householder)

How else do you determine whether any price is reasonable or not?

Most folk get 5 [or 15] quotes and compare them. That's not great for an installer either since it means lots of quoting that results in no work for someone.

I understand your point on internet price but maybe the solution is offer the customer a choice to take the strain of ordering, delivery, payment, etc. I put a value on someone to do all that [my time] but my valuation probably isn't say 400 quid.

I don't and won't get into what a "fair rate" should be - there are too may variables. But I will say that even if I could change a boiler in 5 hours or so, I would still be charging my daily rate. A quotation is never going to be exactly the right amount of hours - if, say, a 4 hour quote ran over by 2 hours (reasons being immaterial then suddenly you are down to 2/3 rds of your normal hourly turnover. If a 6 hour job ran to exactly 6 hours, what do you do with the extra 1.5 hours. If you book a job in as a fill in, and the job over runs, then you have an upset client on your hands or you work late.

Fair enough so you would charge a day rate.
What do you charge per day?

MFA time is also a concept I have no problem with.

Anyway I have learned today that the metal flue through a pitched roof at second floor level "must" be replaced [probably start of a seperate thread] which I didn't know before and had definitely not included in those 5 hours.

Anyway I have learned today that the metal flue through a pitched roof at second floor level "must" be replaced [probably start of a seperate thread] which I didn't know before and had definitely not included in those 5 hours.

But the significant cost of the additional materials probably was.

The quote is starting to look like very good value.

But I would still go for Tony at his stated rate. Which is pretty much in black and white:sneaky:.

BTW, my day rate is between me and my clients.

what do you earn ?:)

That's not what I asked. If I was offering a service I would put a price on it.

Someone charging 300 per hour but only working 2hrs a week earns 30k.
Someone charging 300 per day but working 45 weeks earns 90k.

Also if I was telling someone they are offering starvation wages, I would be happy to answer the question what are starvation wages.

why don't you start worrying about fixing your boiler FFS !!( i bet you can peel an orange in your pocket so you don't have to share it :oops:;)) , the charge is the charge , do you want hw & ch ?????

It is so bloody simple...

Get a price... it will always be more than you think it should be, everything is when it's an unexpected 'need' and not a materialistic 'want'!

Get another price (2 to be sure) and that will give you a fair representation of what the market price commands. Choose one of these based on your impression of the person who will be doing the work, as well as the price.

You could always keep punting it around until someone comes in with a price that is more to your liking, but by then you are scraping the bottom of the barrel and you shouldn't be surprised if it all goes horribly wrong... but you will be!

In the meantime, you will still have no HW or CH.

it gets on my nerves , its the most used item within the home and they whinge about spending a bit of money which they have ignored for a long time ( waiting to the last minute in winter ) ,then they start being a google worrier for parts and moaning about how much someone is charging to give them heat and hot water . but now its bitting them on the ass now .:whistle::whistle::oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back