Is this post supporting the staircase?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed the panelling to gain access under our stairs and want to build some cupboards etc. There is a post which goes to the floor (see picture below) which the wife wants me to saw off and not replace but I think its part of the structure of the staircase. Any thoughts/comments would be most appreciated

ete027.jpg

ete026.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo superbug and welcome :D :D :D :D

ask your wife what happens when you remove the leg from a table!!!! ;)

heeelllooo superbug and welcome :D :D :D :D

ask your wife what happens when you remove the leg from a table!!!! ;)

Thought so :rolleyes: ok then obviously removing the whole post to replace with something else is going to be a big job so whats the best way to cut and splice a new piece in, the 3"x3" post is a bit boring!

a bit lost here you want to remove the 3x3" post and replace with i assune a 3x3" post!!!! :rolleyes:

ok sorry re read

you will be lucky to get a turning that length

perhaps a scaffold pole !!!!

Sponsored Links
Yep replace it with something that hasn't got flat sides :rolleyes:

Was thinking of chopping it at the point where you can see the paint is removed to in the picture

If we can find a suitable piece of wood or a big enough newel post what would be the easist way of splicing in?

you want to leave at least 2" underneath so you dont weaken the mortice where the string goes into the newel post

you want to leave at least 2" underneath so you dont weaken the mortice where the string goes into the newel post

makes sense will have to look at the options, may be we could use a router and change the look of it slightly, not too much of course wouldn't want to weaken it :D

you could router 6mm v gooves full height without effecting strength

you could also stop chamfer the edges to reduce the appearence

leave a corrisponding say 6 to 8" sticking out the floor to match whats sticking out under the string

visualy the top needs to be 30 to 50 percent of the bottom bit thats left to look right

and dont forget to support the stairs with a bit off 4x2" or simmilar whilst you remove the newel leg

SB - it is possible to remove these posts as long as you correctly support the staircase, this usually means an inclined section of structual timber below the flight. I'm not sure, judging from your pics, if you've got sufficiant distance versus angle to do this.

Many of these posts tended to be simply nailed to the floor (common practice in Victorian houses).

You could, as big-a says, flute the post with a router or even plant decorative moulding on (this would be the easiest to do).

Finally, why not add another one of those chrome pole-dancing tubes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back