Is this really a tonne bag?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all

Been in constant dialogue with an online provider of gravel. I paid extra to have 1,000kg over the regular 850kg. But to me it doesn’t even look like I got 850kg. They said the white bags are bigger but I took some measurements and they don’t seem any bigger than the 850kg bulk bags I get from the brick and mortar suppliers.

Any advice? Not like I can weigh it easily and given it’s gravel not like I could work it out by volume either, or could I?

Cheers

IMG_9852.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You could weigh it in bags as you go along using bathroom scales, they typically go up to 100kg.

I’ve noticed in the diysheds that specifying weights is less common, the description is more likely to be large or medium. I picked up a 25kg bag of aggregate in one that was definitely not 25 kg.

Blup

What does it say on the website - post a link to the page

It will be a tonne bag in the sense the empty bag is rated to safely carry 1 tonne

800kg to 850kg probably looking at it.
Not a ton imo..

I always got local lorry to drop off from local yard.
Area and depth. They banged calculator and told me amount and price.
Those bags are good though if you can't get tipper in and need to carry in small amounts around back or somewhere with restricted access..

Weight some. Get tape measure and string out.
Go look online for volume calculator.

Edit.

Here you go

Or

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What’s the dimensions , a cubic metre of gravel weighs around 1600kg .

Bag looks bigger than the typical 850s my aggregate comes in..

Not sure I'd do it by volume unless you're also going to weigh out a volume of it on your bathroom scales too.

Also that bag is basically a cylinder now..

Tell us the height, the circumference of the bag and the weight of 25 litres of that gravel

It will feel like a tonne if you've got to barrow it through to the back garden.

Trying to work this out is a pointless exercise, the amount of time you'll spend weighing it out will cancel out the cost of any potential refund.

I had a tonne bag of ballast and 6 small plastic bags of the same, to make up the quantity I needed, in a bigger order earlier this year.

I signed for the delivery and then noticed the 6 small bags hadn't been delivered, I queried the driver and he pointed out that they'd been put inside the bigger bag of ballast, those bags will swallow a lot.

Try and imagine your bag with about 15% of the gravel missing. Would you query that as not being 850kg?

What does it say on the website - post a link to the page

It will be a tonne bag in the sense the empty bag is rated to safely carry 1 tonne
They offer both 850kg or 1,000kg as an option. Apparently the 850kg come in smaller bags but the picture I’ve been sent looks way more full for a smaller bag so it’d have to be much wider.

Thanks all for the comments. It’s a bit dark outside now (had a long day) so will check out the measurements tomorrow and feedback

What’s the dimensions , a cubic metre of gravel weighs around 1600kg .
So seam to seam (appreciate it’s being stretched so probably slightly bigger) is 85x70cm. Height of the bag is 90cm but it’s filled to 59cm high.

If those measurements are correct and a cubic meter weight 1600kg you have got about 561kg of gravel. But is the 1600kg dry gravel or wet gravel? If dry then wet it would be significantly more and therefore you would have more than 561 in the bag. So wait till it rains and feel better about things.

If those measurements are correct and a cubic meter weight 1600kg you have got about 561kg of gravel. But is the 1600kg dry gravel or wet gravel? If dry then wet it would be significantly more and therefore you would have more than 561 in the bag. So wait till it rains and feel better about things.
Does that factor in compression? Not sure paying for water will make me feel better. Plus gravel doesn’t get virtually 100% heavier when wet!

Trading standards are pretty underfunded at the moment but may be worth contacting them as a weights and measures issue.

Blup

Wet weights 120% of dry according to some random bloke on the internet. If we put that with the measurements given by the two slightly less random people on this thread we get 674kg. And wet gravel.

I’m going to do the string measuring tomorrow as the bag is swollen more so than the seams. Don’t think that’ll get me to a tonne but maybe closer to 800kg or so. Still enough to throw back at the company. Probably going to go to trading standards either way. If it was 50kg short I’d shrug but 200kg when I’ve paid for the extra is nothing short of a fraud.

The bags don't really swell, although its cylinder shaped you can measure them like a cube. Sometimes the dimensions are on the label from the bag manufacturer.

Take it to a weighbridge, then you'd know how much stone you have (not worth the effort though)

The bag sounds slightly bigger than your average builders merchant bag

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back