Is this really a tonne bag?

Bag looks bigger than the typical 850s my aggregate comes in..

Not sure I'd do it by volume unless you're also going to weigh out a volume of it on your bathroom scales too.

Also that bag is basically a cylinder now..

Tell us the height, the circumference of the bag and the weight of 25 litres of that gravel
The circumference is 314cm, the fill height is 59cm.

I've got a 30L plasterers mixing bucket. The weight when filled with gravel is 48.6kg Note that its pretty wet as well so that'll be at the heavier end. Been raining a lot the past few days.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The bags don't really swell, although its cylinder shaped you can measure them like a cube. Sometimes the dimensions are on the label from the bag manufacturer.

Take it to a weighbridge, then you'd know how much stone you have (not worth the effort though)

The bag sounds slightly bigger than your average builders merchant bag
In fairness this one has, its probably closer to being a cylinder than a square the way I look at it. At least its another method to try and either proves its ok or is more evidence to say it isn't.

A cylinder of radius 0.425 will have less in that if it was a cube of 0.85 x 0.75, assuming same height.

A cylinder of radius 0.425 will have less in that if it was a cube of 0.85 x 0.75, assuming same height.
What does it work out at 30L weighing 48.6kg? Does that change the total versus the 1600kg per cubic foot?

Sponsored Links
Something doesn't seem right (perhaps it is my calculations)
If the circumference of the container is 314cm and the height is 59cm I calculate the volume to be 84.25 litres.
If a 30 litre bucket holds 48.6kg then an 84.25 litre bag would hold 136.5kg

Edit: This is rubbish. Ignore me!

Last edited:
Something doesn't seem right (perhaps it is my calculations)
If the circumference of the container is 314cm and the height is 59cm I calculate the volume to be 84.25 litres.
If a 30 litre bucket holds 48.6kg then an 84.25 litre bag would hold 136.5kg
Think its your calc. I calc the volume to be 463 litres but could be wrong.

So 1 litre is 1.62kg.

Thus weight is 750kg? Can someone confirm my calcs?

30L is 0.03m3. So you could fit approx 33.3 buckets in a 1m3 bag, so approx 1620Kg. Making the 1600Kg above seem the correct value to use.

The volume of a cylinder is the base time height, so (pi)*r2*height, or 0.425^2 * 3.14 * 0.59 = 0.33m3 of gravel, if a cylinder.

30L is 0.03m3. So you could fit approx 33.3 buckets in a 1m3 bag, so approx 1620Kg. Making the 1600Kg above seem the correct value to use.
Thank you. That was the heaviest measurement too, I tried three times and it varied slightly lower so 1,600kg I agree is spot on.

So based on a 314cm circumference and 59cm height is the overall volume of the gravel I have 463 litres and thus approx 750kg?

If the circumference is 314cm and it is cylindrical then yes, the volume is 0.463m3 and you will have about 741Kg of gravel (dry) or 889Kg if wet

If the circumference is 314cm and it is cylindrical then yes, the volume is 0.463m3 and you will have about 741Kg of gravel (dry) or 889Kg if wet
Thank you, much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back