Is this rendering job acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this one. Just a quick bit of advice needed on a wall I have just had rendered, the whole house is being rendered this week but this is the first wall they have done. I know smooth render always show ripples in the sun but I think this may be a little excessive. Just wanted to run this past you guys to see if I am being fussy. They have been pushing for stippled render since they got the job, but I insisted on smooth as I have seen their previous work and it looks good. Just looks to me like it has not been plastic floated, just sponged off as I can see and feel fairly deep trowel marks. Just don't want to upset them if this is the norm. Many thanks.

Attachments

• DSC_0147.JPG
    DSC_0147.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 2,444
  • DSC_0148.JPG
    DSC_0148.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 2,206
  • DSC_0146.JPG
    DSC_0146.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 2,176
Sponsored Links
It's not easy to judge from the pictures, but it doesn't look that great. How does it compare to their other jobs, and you may need to use this argument when you discuss the differences with them, and ask why they haven't managed to get the same quality. If they can't get it to the standard you want, and were expecting - especially as you've seen their other work, and should be able to expect the same - then you've got the right to get someone else in to complete the job. Have any of their staff changed since the other jobs were done.

Hi, thanks for the reply, no change is staff, father and son and a labourer. Seen other jobs close up, but to be fair not in direct sun, which always shows any undulations/imperfections, but was expecting better. will talk to them tomorrow.cheers

looks like a rough job to me I wouldn't accept it... It should be nice and flat and nicely sponged up. These boys are chancers!

Sponsored Links
Frankly I'd give them a chance to put that right, before letting them anywhere near the rest of the house. Make it clear that they will only get paid when they have put it right, and maybe they'll prefer to walk away. If those photos show the limit of their ability it might be better if they b*ggered off and you were able to get someone competent in.

I don't think they could put it right! They would have to knock the whole lot off and start again and it obvious they cant render, if they put grinds in it and went over it you wouldn't know what was under the new render(ie, gauges of mixes). What is the substrate ,brick or stone?

They most prob wanted to do stipple because stipple is p*SS easy to do ,I think the previous work they were showing you could have been someone else's work because what you have there is ugly don't pay them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back