Rendering: Stippled or Smooth Finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

We're having an external wall built and the builder has asked whether we would like to have the render smooth or stippled.

He's suggesting stippled as smooth tends to show every imperfection. Is this correct? I would have though smooth would be a preferably finish? Can anyone please post their views?

Many thanks

PEN

Sponsored Links
TBH.....The smooth does show imperfections....but what imperfections would you have with a new wall? If there is any then straighten them out with render.

Alex

How can your builder say you'll get imperfections in smooth render,in advance of doing the job. Maybe he's not up to doing it that way, and suggested stipple because it's easier for him to do.

Roughcaster.

Perhapsdepends what you mean by ' smooth' -are you looking for it to be flat like a skimmed plastered wall inside? in which case the render will have to be finished with a trowel which IMHO is not a great finish .

If you take 'smooth' to mean flat render rubbed up and sponged,(for wnat of a better description, to look like a large sheet of sandpaper :cool: then you have every right to expect it to be done properly and look evenly textured when finished.

He may be proposing a 'nap' finish, when he says 'stipple' . There is nothing wrong with this, if you like the look of it, it is just going over the whole surface after rubbing up , with a sponge float tapped onto the render, bringing out a slight texture.

If he can't render he may be propsing the stipple to get over his work. I have even come across blokes who suggest rendering and then covering it with Hi Build (at extra cost, of course) simply because they could not finish the render.

Why not ask to look at some of his previous work - you can do this without causing offence, and say it is to get it cclear in your mind what the end product will be. He won't mind if he is genuine.

You only get one go at render.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

I've asked him to show me the different finished which he has done.

I guess the closest effect to what Micilin has said with a large sheet of sandpaper.

It's a subtle texture he's bringing out, not something that resembles an artex ceiling which is what I was imaging.

Thanks
PEN

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back