Getting rid of stippling on ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get my living/dining room decorated and every decorator I have seen does not want to get rid of stippling. They suggest I get a plasterer in to replaster the ceiling instead. I know that there is a steaming method which appears to take some time, is messy and expensive and also the scraping method. It seems that plastering may be cheaper. A few years ago, we had a kitchen put in and the stippling was removed from the ceiling and our ceiling looks great. No steam was used, and I believe that the ceiling was scraped down, but I am not 100% sure of this. In the living/dining room, the stippling pattern is quite pronouced and has two unsightly long veins running through the ceiling; it gives the impression that the ceiling is dividing into three sections.

Would I be better off dealing with a builder than a decorator? Also would there be any problems having the ceiling replastering over the original stripping?

Any advice and suggestions please? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I assume the ceiling is artexed?
If so do you know the age of it, as artex used in the 1980's contained asbestos and that is why tradesmen try to avoid it.
You can soften by heat a scrape off or cover by use of bond-it and plaster, also you could consider the use of X-Tex.
X-Tex is painted over the artex and softens, so can be scraped off.
Sometimes needs more than a couple of applications.
It is still a messy job, the artex gets quite sticky, so make sure carpets and furnishing are either removed or well covered also I would advise the use of the plastic protective overshoes as it sticks like shyt to the bottom of your boots.
http://www.ecosolutions.co.uk/x_tex.html

Knock of the high points with the back of a spade, pva, blue grit or bond-it.
2 coat finish plaster.
Scrim up any cracks/joins 1st.
You can also over board the ceiling, make sure you locate all joists and mark with a string line.
Make sure screws are long enough.

Sponsored Links
Thinking it over, perhaps I might be better off having the ceiling plastered over. It might be safer and less expensive. I am looking at all the alternatives, but I cannot do the work myself, as I am hopeless at DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back