Is this required for selling house

Sponsored Links
I paid for 130 odd for one 8 years ago too, to appease my buyers solicitor. The whole thing is a bit of a joke including the legal industry's attitude that a building regs ticket is some kind of seal of quality approval. Anything but, given my experience of the inspection regime.

Last edited:
I think they are based on the value of the property, I think mine was about £170.

Pay it and move on, its the easy option (y)

The real joke with FENSA etc. is it only covers the thermal performance of the door/window EDIT and the security and safety aspects, not the structural integrity of the job. So if timber windows were replaced with placcie and no lintels or support pillars added, you'd never know from the paperwork.

Sponsored Links
I remember our solicitor stalling and faffing over the daftest of things. We bought a house which was not part of a chain (couple split up and went to their respective parents) and managed to do it in less than 7 weeks. I remember one week, however, where I hadn't heard anything. I phoned the solicitor and was told she was waiting for a FENSA certificate. The windows are 20 years old, so I told her I'm really not bothered. She tried to insist I get the certificate, but in the end we agreed to forget it. A whole week wasted for that...

As others have said, there are far more buyers than sellers and the ball is in your court! If somebody wants to be a finicky bum about some certificate over a few doors and windows, go with someone else. The indemnity insurance is good but in the current climate I can't see why it's needed -- everything around here is going for above asking and there have been some real run-down houses sold!

Thanks all - I agreed to it and moving forward now. Everyone is over the moon (for whatever reason )

Building regs enforcement comes in two flavours; enforcement or action in the magistrates court. The difference is that under enforcement, if you fail to comply with enforcement requirements, the LA can demolish or make works safe etc. and send you the bill. The result of an action in the magistrates depends on what the magistrate directs. Time limit on enforcement is 12 months. Time limit on action in magistrates is 2 years - but the LA must act within 6 months of knowing about the breach.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back