Is this sensible approach to make 6x4 fence post by joining 4x4 and 2x4 posts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to replace fencing in the back garden and after careful measuring the total length of fence to be installed comes to 19.80 meters. I have worked out the materials required and it seems like I would need an extra fence panel, post and gravel board etc just for the sake of last section under 40 cm.

I calculated this by using 1.83 fence panel X 10 (18.30m), 100x100 fence post X 11 (11.10m). This looks like a lot of wasted material and the fact that I need to obtain angle grinder to cut the concrete gravel board. It appears to add around £100 to the materials cost as well. Also this last section would look slight ridiculous if fitted in such small section unless I go to the effort of making all sections slightly smaller to for it to blend in overall.

To get around this issue I am thinking of making 6x4 posts by glueing and then screwing together 4x4 and 2x4 posts. the post below ground will be 4x4 but then I would attach 2x4 to one side for the length of about 1.8m above ground making it thicker. I have few 2x4 spare which should cover at-least 2-3 posts and then the rest could be bought for around £25-30 saving a bit of money and hassle of cutting the gravel board. If I do this to 8 posts I wouldn't need additional panel and it wouldn't look bad. I am bit unsure if this is good approach? Does anyone have any insights or ideas?

Sponsored Links
are they concrete posts?

they are about 70mm when installed, because of the grooves.

start building at the front of the house, and measure the actual gap at the end when you get there. you will want to allow a hedgehog gap in the gravel boards, so use a piece of timber or a part paving slab rather than cutting up a whole gravel board.

tinkering with 8 posts is silly.

plant a bush at the back end of the fence so the sight of it will not distress you.

Last edited:
I am going to replace fencing in the back garden and after careful measuring the total length of fence to be installed comes to 19.80 meters. I have worked out the materials required and it seems like I would need an extra fence panel, post and gravel board etc just for the sake of last section under 40 cm.

I calculated this by using 1.83 fence panel X 10 (18.30m), 100x100 fence post X 11 (11.10m). This looks like a lot of wasted material and the fact that I need to obtain angle grinder to cut the concrete gravel board. It appears to add around £100 to the materials cost as well. Also this last section would look slight ridiculous if fitted in such small section unless I go to the effort of making all sections slightly smaller to for it to blend in overall.

To get around this issue I am thinking of making 6x4 posts by glueing and then screwing together 4x4 and 2x4 posts. the post below ground will be 4x4 but then I would attach 2x4 to one side for the length of about 1.8m above ground making it thicker. I have few 2x4 spare which should cover at-least 2-3 posts and then the rest could be bought for around £25-30 saving a bit of money and hassle of cutting the gravel board. If I do this to 8 posts I wouldn't need additional panel and it wouldn't look bad. I am bit unsure if this is good approach? Does anyone have any insights or ideas?

If it was me, I would add 50 x 25 treated sawn timber to either side of each fence panel

one useful tip: wrap each post with a post saver sleeve - or buy a roll of flashband and some primer and use that. It can increase the life span of the posts by 10 years

are they concrete posts?

they are about 70mm when installed, because of the grooves.

start building at the front of the house, and measure the actual gap at the end when you get there. you will want to allow a hedgehog gap in the gravel boards, so use a piece of timber or a part paving slab rather than cutting up a whole gravel board.

tinkering with 8 posts is silly.

plant a bush at the back end of the fence so the sight of it will not distress you.

They are standard 4x4 timber posts not concrete. Also the fence is entire length at the back so there is no distinct corner which is less noticeable.

If it was me, I would add 50 x 25 treated sawn timber to either side of each fence panel

one useful tip: wrap each post with a post saver sleeve - or buy a roll of flashband and some primer and use that. It can increase the life span of the posts by 10 years

Ok hadn't thought of adding battens to the fence panel on sides. That might work out cheaper and less work. Will definitely consider this. Good point about post sleeve will keep that in mind

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back