Is this structural

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I am trying to create storage in the roof space of dormer bungalow. There are a few bits of wood (looks like builder has used some gash bits) from the rafter to the joist. One can be seen on the photo along with one of the two sets of purlins. My question is, are these bits of wood structural or can I remove them?
thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
Probably put there to stop your ceilings from sagging so I would suggest you leave them there unless you can think of another way to stop them sagging.

Yep, as above.

The only way to get rid is too strengthen the ceiling timbers, a practice usually reserved for loft conversions.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for both replying.

Span is 12'. Taken paper of ceiling from room underneath and thought someone had come through as there are lots of (poor) patching.

Will drop supports off the purlin you can see in the photo and the next one up to the joists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back