Is this Subsidence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have moved into a detached property around 2 years ago and recently noticed some cracks in the outside and inside walls around the window:

30wngcz.png

vo65wg.png

r7q8o2.png

jl169w.png

ipv7e8.png

The windows are very old and seem to be bowing and getting misshaped. I dont think the can handle the weight being applied to them. Could this be caused by inadequate support from the windows?

If is is subsidence what can we do?

Sponsored Links
Your original (mullioned?) wood window frame was replaced by a well set-back PVC frame. The previous frame was presumably supporting the brickwork above the opening because no lintel had been installed on the outer leaf. This would account for the bowing head, and perhaps some cracking.

The stepped cracking below the window cill could be :
1. Thermal movement.
2. A little settlement in the ground (any trees present?).
About 6 courses above the ground there is a very thick bed of pointing that has been evenly squeezed out.

What is all the light dust on the lower courses? Has any kind of remedial work been attempted? Where is the DPC?

Are there cracks on the inner skin, or sticking doors - will the PVC opening lights freely open?

Did your mortgage survey mention any of the above or cavity ties or cav insulation?

Could you post pics of the whole wall and the wall at ground level?

FWIW: at the least, you will have to install a lintel but hold fire until you know exactly what you are dealing with.

As above, the window has probably been replaced without installing a lintel - that is a relatively common and
minor issue.
Of more interest is the cracking down to ground level. My gut feeling is that it is not subsidence but the pics don't give the broad picture - literally. Pics showing close-ups of cracks are no good on their own, you need to show some views from further back, preferably showing the whole wall and context.

You've got cracks above and below the window, on both sides of the wall, and the external cracks have been repaired previously.

This indicates ongoing foundation movement.

Engage a structural engineer to advise you. It's normally trees and drains which are the cause, and the cracks may close back up if these are the cause and once they have been dealt with.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Thanks for the help with this its much appreciated, I have tried to answer all questions below:
  • There are 2 big Oak trees at the end of the garden, pictures below:
    1jm7o3.jpg

flx7wy.jpg

• I am not too sure what the lower dust is on the lower course, We where not informed of any remedial work being done and the DPC I am not sure about :S. There was a leaking gutter when we moved in and I believe it had been that way for years as the previous owners had not fixed it. It was pouring all water from the gutter to one spot on the lower wall, as well as the drain in the corner being blocked with mud for years as well, as shown here:
    24muwl1.png

2h8cozn.png

• The PVC windows are stiff but do open and they are very buckled and let cold air in. The cracks on the inner walls are below:
    2zfu55e.jpg

4rq3up.jpg

2d5aig.jpg

vcoed.jpg

2rpbnko.png

29fcdc7.jpg

• There has been cavity insulation installed in the house but I am not sure about cavity ties
  • Here are some pics of the whole wall at ground level:
    33x7kgn.jpg

2mg8i0n.jpg
We really appreciated the help and guidance around this :)

Thanks

The distortion in the brickwork is clear. Call a structural engineer for a report.

Alternatively, your insurance will probably cover this so you may want to call them.

That gutter joint is also leaking, which will not help.

About 6 courses above the ground there is a very thick bed of pointing that has been evenly squeeze. Where is the DPC?/QUOTE]

ree, in the UK bricklayers sometimes use a thick Weather Struck and Cut joint on the DPC if it's a bit too thick to get a neater joint with the bucket handle.
They used to do this years ago on slate DPC's as well, but even on modern houses you can see it. Where I live in the West it's quite common to lay the DPC dry on the external skin to make a smaller joint, although in most of the UK it's bedded.
OP, it looks like there has been some rebuilding work done below the frame, and the DPC joint does not look straight. As this joint is done with a straight edge it will often show where the wall has dropped more than the bucket handle

Last edited:
Hi All,

Again thanks for the help.

Does this seems like a serious issues?

What are the likely remedies to this?

It looks very serious to me. On the bottom left hand side of the window there are all sorts of wide joints and bricks out of line, evidence of previous repairs. You do not sat how far away the trees are, or how high. You can look up tables to see how far the roots are likely to have spread. It could be that the roots have dried out the clay along the back of the house(s), causing the clay to shrink, while the front is still sitting on wet clay. The difference being taken up by your side wall.
It could be a seasonal thing. What I would do is to select a suitable mortar course, say 2 or three up from the deck. Shine a laser light down the side of the wall aiming it from and to the halfway height of your course. You now have a "line" from front to back. Get a bit of (card)board with a line in the middle of it running in at right angles from one side. Put in on the wall with the marked line horizontal and in line with your laser. You can now guess or measure how far up or down the mortar course is, as you run it along the wall. Write down the error every yard and keep. Repeat as required, then you can see if its getting any worse.
Frank

Remedies to what? As suggested, get a SE's report and it should tell you what's the cause and what's to be done.

Its no big deal, and as suggested, its most probable causes seem to be the effects of a leaking gutter and possible leakage from a blocked RWP gulley - both possibilities will have soaked the soil under the footings.

In the meantime, you could fix the guttering, and open the gulley, and then have a test done for leaking drainage from the gulley to a manhole or sump?

But there might be other factors so get the SE on site.

If you don't maintain a property and let the guttering leak all into the foundations, it's no surprise that you've got problems. You can see where the earth has splashed up over the brickwork. Well done.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advise.

We are getting someone round to review it and we are planning on getting the windows replaced down stairs and up and getting an lintel put in place over the downstairs window.

Joe-90 - I did not find your comment useful or constructive. If you read the post in full I did say this damage had been caused by previous owners over many years and we are rectifying the issues. I suggest you find a better use of your time rather than putting smug comments on forum posts.

Thanks again to everybody else for their quick and constructive replies :)

I would say you definately have subsidence. We are going through the same. We had an insurance claim in 2006, got sorted in 2008, but has returned. We had two Oak trees taken down after getting the council to agree as they had preservation orders on. The Oak trees were responsible. They were in neighbours garden and now removed the house will get repaired again. You can see under the upstairs window to downstairs window, the previous owners knew of this problem, probably why they sold to you. Hope you get sorted

Yes we have 2 big Oak trees and I am going to do some root calculations later to see how far they go as the garden is very long.

Just out of curiosity how long did it take to sort and what level of funds would we need to have available?

Thanks

It was on our house insurance for subsidence cover. We had to pay £1000 excess, they paid the rest. In 2008 the insurance company coughed up £130k to their contractors. If your insurance covers subsidence then pass it to them. It's was quite a long process, we are on clay, and the Oak trees were taking all the water from the ground/clay. The insurance company will send out inspectors, and then measure the house movement over winter/summer period. They put markers on the house and then every 2-3 months measure movement. We are just going towards the end of 2 years period, have cracks everywhere. Hope you are insured okay, takes the pressure off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back