Is this treated wood post OK to have water around it when it rains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always had a soggy lawn when it rains, and I can see why now. I am building a canpoy, I put this post in a deep hole with postcrete. Now the top 2" layer is off I can see the water level in my garden is about 1" below the surface when it rains. Its a thick clay soil. Adding drainage channels wont even work because water does not get though the clay soil to get to the drainage channels.

Anyway, will this post be OK with that 1" water around it when it rains? Its treated. Once it stops raining the water will drain away slowly over 24 hours. Although if its heavy rain it can take time as I am on a hill, so I think water from the hill will just drain through my garden, so it takes longer.

I will be filling it with soil and have grass grow over again, so it wont be in a pool of water, but the soil would be wet of course while the water is at that level.

If its not ideal I wondered if there is anything else I can paint around it, like some spray or thick paint like stuff that would keep the water off. If need be.

In hindsight I could have put more concrete in, slope it up higher than the water level, you can see there is a slope in the concrete but its below the water level! I didnt know what the water level would be at the time.

Thanks

P.S. My garden is a metre higher than my neighbours, I am surprised the water does not run down to theirs, I guess thats how thick the clay soil is.

Attachments

• IMG_3311.jpg
    IMG_3311.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 112
Sponsored Links
In a word no!
Your idea to build up the concrete and slope away is the way to go, not a problem getting wet, but water laying in a puddle around the base will cut the life of the post in half.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back