Is this true

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bathroom and kitchen fitter who tries to play by the the rules. I am told by a sparky friend who contracts for MITE that their contracts manager has told him that 17th eddition IEE regulations comes into force in jan 2008 and that supplimentary earthing requirments will be dispenced with and that 13 amp sockets will be permitted in bathrooms. He says that protection will be provided by RCBOs. This sounds f---ing nuts what if RCBO is faulty. I am not a qualified sparky but to me equi potential looks
the correct route. Please tollerate my possible ignoance and give me your thouhts.
thanks again for your participation in this great site. Wes

Sponsored Links
wesj said:
17th eddition IEE regulations comes into force in jan 2008

Correct

wesj said:
I am not a qualified sparky but to me equi potential looks
the correct route. Please tollerate my possible ignoance and give me your thouhts.
thanks again for your participation in this great site. Wes

not 100% sure but I have heard something similar, also Im not 100% sure the 17th edition is finalised yet.

socket outlets are already allowed in showerooms., but only if they are outside the zones.. ( 3M away off the top of my head.. )
curiously, if there's a bath, then no sockets are alowed..but if only a shower is fitted then you can...

all circuits in a bathroom will need to be RCD ( RCBO ) protected in the new regs.. lights, fans, shaver sockets, towel radiators etc.... [wiki][/wiki]

The 17th is indeed only a draft ATM.

Yes, provided that all MEB's are in place, and all circuits within the bathroom are 30mA RCD protected, then you can dispense with supplementary.

And, provided it is at least 3m (I think) from the boundary of zone 1, you can have a socket outlet in a bathroom. It has to be 30mA RCD protected, of course.

There are other changes, too.

The 0.5MOhm minimum is being raised to 1MO.

There are some others, but can't remember them all.

Chapters 6 & 7 are being transposed.

Direct & Indirect contact are being re-named. Basic protection & Fault protection.

Sponsored Links
wesj said:
17th eddition IEE regulations comes into force in jan 2008

Not quite Wesj - The regulations will be published in Jan 2008 in final form but are not due to come into force until June 2008.

The draft for public comment is still available here although comments supposedly stopped back in February.

Not sure when the final decision will be made but it seems that rcds are becoming the new favourite - I can see a market developing for multi split load boards to keep rcd circuits separate - or maybe JohnD will have his way and RCBOs will get cheap enough for us all to buy :LOL:

Gavin

I don't want the price to drop... I've got 12 gross in the shed.

I,ve been looking at this site for a few weeks-- without posting and johnD & securespark seem a fine double act----good fun lots of p--s take

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back