Is this TRV what is stopping my rad from heating up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Complete novice so please explain slowly o_O

Had to take off rad to decorate wall. That bit went well.

Put rad back on and reversed the process.

Opened lockshield valve > Opened up thermostatic valve > Bled rad.

Radiator is still cold. All others are hot.

Took off the thermostatic valve and it looks like this inside. Is this the culprit or am I missing something else here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 18.38.39.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-17 at 18.38.39.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 113
Sponsored Links
Probably knackered, just get a new head.
Does it work without sensor attached?
If not, pin may be stuck down, gently ease it up with pliers.

Probably knackered, just get a new head.
Does it work without sensor attached?
If not, pin may be stuck down, gently ease it up with pliers.

Pin isn't stuck down (moves about 5mm when I press it).

By new head do you mean replace the whole thing that is in my picture?

Should the rad heat up with that removed if the pin isn't stuck?

Apols for the dumb ass questions! Cheers

Sponsored Links
Complete novice so please explain slowly o_O

Had to take off rad to decorate wall. That bit went well.

Put rad back on and reversed the process.

Opened lockshield valve > Opened up thermostatic valve > Bled rad.

Radiator is still cold. All others are hot.

Took off the thermostatic valve and it looks like this inside. Is this the culprit or am I missing something else here?

Thanks!
Do you have an open vented system, with F/E tank in the loft? In that case the system would fill automatically as you bled the rad. But if it's a pressurised system, with expansion vessel, it would need repressurising. Did you bleed until water came out?

Do you have an open vented system, with F/E tank in the loft? In that case the system would fill automatically as you bled the rad. But if it's a pressurised system, with expansion vessel, it would need repressurising. Did you bleed until water came out?

I think the second ... had to turn the two dials next to the boiler to raise the pressure.

I've got the heating on again now with the thermo valve off. Other radiators are hot.

This radiator is somewhere between lukewarm and cold ... but the pipe that feeds the rad (under where the thermo valve would be) is red hot ...

And the radiator has been bled.

Any thoughts?

Is the lockshield fully open ? If it is the TRV is probably the culprit. On every other rad ,close their TRV. If your problem rad still doesn't heat fully ,fit a complete new TRV

I think the second ... had to turn the two dials next to the boiler to raise the pressure.

I've got the heating on again now with the thermo valve off. Other radiators are hot.

This radiator is somewhere between lukewarm and cold ... but the pipe that feeds the rad (under where the thermo valve would be) is red hot ...

And the radiator has been bled.

Any thoughts?
I assume it's up to pressure and bled till water came out. You could try throttling down some or all of the other rads, to kick-start it. Was there much muck in the rad when you removed it?
Posted this before seeing #7

I assume it's up to pressure and bled till water came out. You could try throttling down some or all of the other rads, to kick-start it. Was there much muck in the rad when you removed it?
Posted this before seeing #7

Yes there was a lot of muck coming out of it. I've bled the rest of the rads in turn (although only 2 of them had a tiny amount of air in). Rad is still cold at bottom - does this mean it's a rad specific issue?

Yes there was a lot of muck coming out of it. I've bled the rest of the rads in turn (although only 2 of them had a tiny amount of air in). Rad is still cold at bottom - does this mean it's a rad specific issue?
1. Have you bled till water comes out?
2. Have you tried throttling down some or all of the other rads?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back