2 Protected against dripping water when tilted up to 15 degrees
3 Protected against spraying water
4 Protected against splashing water
5 Protected against water jets
6 Protected against powerful water jets
7 Protected against the effects of temporary immersion in water
8 Protected against the effects of continuous immersion in water
9K Protected against high temperature and high pressure water jets
So likely the enclosure shown is IP54 which means Dust protected (with or without vacuum applied to the product) and Protected against splashing water. And in the main that is OK for some thing outside.

You can likely take some thing 422 meters below sea level without getting water ingress, but only on the shores of the Dead Sea, look at any divers watch and it is unlikely to be rated to go that deep. In real terms nothing is water proof, it is only water resistance.

Sponsored Links
WTF that can't be a DB surely, oh well at least it's accessible.... Oh hang on it's not unless the visiting spark has a set of hedge cutters.

I'd be lifting that cover to discover the make of it and looking online to see if its IP rating is suitable for outside.

Seems strange I can stand in the street and look inside this households unit. I can't see anything that shows an IP rating. Maybe it has or maybe it hasn't

Ba9cz7Q.jpg

That's not designed to be used out side like that, it should be inside an Enclosure. Damp will get into that eventually

I notice it is marked EVC - Electric Vehicle Charger (?) Who installed it?

I'd guess that the feed comes in through the wall and the SWA runs to the charge connector point. It looks as if the actual EVC is built into the CU- - the module with the LEDs on and the contactor to its right.

Yes it is for an Electric vehicle. The main consumer unit will be on the other side of the wall in what was the garage and probably boxed in. As the garage has now been converted to a room I assume the owner didn’t want it inside and on show.

Last edited:
So likely the enclosure shown is IP54 which means Dust protected (with or without vacuum applied to the product) and Protected against splashing water. And in the main that is OK for some thing outside.
Given my experience of IP44 lamps/fittings filling with water, I'd disagree with that statement :whistle:

It is often better to simply ensure gap in seal or drilled hole at bottom so any water can exist. What can happen is where the unit is heated and cooled, water can be sucked in as it cools, if there is a gap at bottom next time it heats up it is forced out again, but anywhere else it slowly builds up over time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back