Cooker Switch close to taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just purchased a property and require an EICR report. The previous owners fitted the kitchen themselves by the look of it and the estate agents have mentioned that the cooker switch is too close to the kitchen taps. Please see attached picture. Both switches are required to come down in order for the electric cooker to function. I'm guessing this would show up as an electrical hazard in an EICR report?
Could I put a waterproof ip65 wall mounting over it to make it splashproof? Something like in attached image. Or maybe a sheet of clear perspex that is hinged to allow access when needed.
If not, what would you recommend I do without being too destructive?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• 230-150-87mm-Waterproof-Plastic-Enclosure-Electronic-Project-Box-Instrument-Case-DIY-Hot.jpg
    230-150-87mm-Waterproof-Plastic-Enclosure-Electronic-Project-Box-Instrument-Case-DIY-Hot.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_1233.JPG
    DSC_1233.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 212
Sponsored Links
There is no specific distance that accessories have to be from taps or sinks, so while that location is certainly not ideal, it isn't really a problem. Put a piece of plastic over it if you want.

What is more concerning is that the tile appears to have been fitted over the switch, making it difficult/impossible to remove.
There is also the question of where the cables now go, as clearly the cooker has been relocated.
Somewhat unusual to fit wall cupboards directly above the sink as well.

That's a total bodge on the tiling.
I don't understand why both switches have to come down for the cooker to work. An electrician should look at it as it's been wired wrong.
You can get the electrician to change it to a switch only (no socket) which would be slightly safer, but it's not really dangerous provided the rest of the wiring is in order.
You could put something like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clippasafe-Double-Electric-Socket-Cover/dp/B005WCRS38
over it, but label it in case someone unfamiliar with the kitchen needs to swtch the cooker off in an emergency.

There is no specific distance that accessories have to be from taps or sinks, so while that location is certainly not ideal, it isn't really a problem. Put a piece of plastic over it if you want.

What is more concerning is that the tile appears to have been fitted over the switch, making it difficult/impossible to remove.
There is also the question of where the cables now go, as clearly the cooker has been relocated.
Somewhat unusual to fit wall cupboards directly above the sink as well.

Something to rest your head against whilst washing the pots.....

Tiling looks horrible, and that silicone bead between the tiles and the cupboards.......

Sponsored Links
Could I put a waterproof ip65 wall mounting over it to make it splashproof? Something like in attached image.
Not like that one - it needs a screwdriver to open it.

Bit of a bummer if the cooker is on fire.

If you're worried about the cooker panel being there, consider joining the cables and fitting a blank plate,
THEN
Find the cable at the cooker end, and re-route or extend to a new position to fit the cooker switch.

It's not unusual to fit a cooker switch in a cupboard, though as it's been pointed out, could be awkward in an emergency.

I believe that particular cooker panel you have is slightly larger than a standard double accessory, though I think it does manage to fix to a standard double back box. If this is the case you may need a sheet of plastic to fit behind the blank plate to cover any gaps in the tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back