Is this wet verge work ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've recently had the wet verge at the front re-done, and it now looks like below. I'd expected the mortar mix to be left flush with the edges of the tiles, and look smooth (like the previous repair visible at the top, which TBH I'd also expected to have been taken out and redone as part of the work)

Should it be finished flush/smooth? Other than what it looks like, is it likely to cause any issue (e.g. from rain - it's quite exposed at the front where we are)?

IMG_5265.JPG
IMG_5266.JPG
IMG_5267.JPG
IMG_5268.JPG

Sponsored Links
No. Ask him to fill it.

We've had a lot of issues with this guy (and some other work he has/hasn't done on the same job), so don't want him back.

I'm just trying to get an idea that other than looking crap, is it likely to cause issues in the future?

Sponsored Links
Hi there. The verge in the first pic of the repair shows it hasn’t been re-bedded but “buttered “ with cement . This is where new cement is spread over the old to make it look nice and pretty or patch a gap , but can be dodgy when spread level with tile edge as it can fall out / off, when weathered ( as it has started to right at the top ) . I’d say the correct way would be to remove first row tiles along verge up and down . Remove old cement and under cloak . Check your main timber for decay and replace if needed ..fix new undercloak up and down then rebed the tiles , personally I’d leave a 10mm overhang from tiles to to undercloak ( like the rest of verge in pic) and not smooth to tile so when smoothed off the water can’t go inside the cement if it starts to break Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back