Is this work acceptable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello we have recently had quite a few of our rooms skimmed. We waited over a week for it to dry in hot weather and kept it well ventilated. My husband has just done the first coat of primer/ undercoat (water based dulux for walls) and we have noticed the plaster has this rippling. See photo attached. We are disappointed and was expecting a smooth finish. Will it look better when painted or should we be expecting more from the plasterer? Thanks

Sponsored Links
D95B04D8-BCC1-4D11-9123-1B0B7D96A1BE.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Looks like it went off before it could be flattened properly or that maybe their normal standard of work,where did you find them and are the other areas of a similar standard?

I don’t understand? Do you mean did he paint on the plaster?
Yeah, when I zoom in, it looks like it’s been applied with a brush rather than a trowel. I wouldn’t be happy with it - it should be as smooth as glass almost. It’s also bubbling down the bottom right.

No the plasterer definitely used a trowel I was there when he did it. We waited for it to dry and my husband put one coat of undercoat with a roller and now it looks like this. Yes we were expecting a nice smooth finish. my husband has messaged him now to come back and sort it out. The thing is he has plastered many of our rooms so I’m afraid this is going to be a real problem for us ☹️

Looks like it went off before it could be flattened properly or that maybe their normal standard of work,where did you find them and are the other areas of a similar standard?
It’s my husbands colleagues son that’s where the recommendation came from. We can’t really tell if other areas are similar because they are still that peachy plaster colour. It’s shown up when we put the undercoat on. Thing is we’re paying a painter to come and do the big areas in the hallway so are worried we won’t know what the score is before he starts work and this is throwing more money at it ☹️

Last edited:
When you sand, close and seal off the doors to other rooms with the windows in them open, wear decent masks (not the cheap paper ones),
The dust WILL go everywhere.

Said after it got into my attic pc room and coated everything :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back