Is undercoat needed over zinnser bin?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just sanded down some skirting which had a water based gloss on and whilst sanding/scraping the water based paint and whatever was beneath has flaked off in large areas revealing bare wood whilst other areas the paint remains tight.

I was thinking of using bin primer to seal the bare wood and then give an entire lick of pain over all the skirting with bin primer again but bin primer is quite expensive.

Is this the best approach?

Also do i still need an undercoat on top of bin primer before applying a top coat?

I'm thinking of dulux or johnstone satinwood topcoat water based as I need the skirts done and cured fast.

Any cheaper primers paints to achieve a uniform look and ensure paint doesn't peel off and job completed in quick time?

Any advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Bin is the undercoat.

Just paint whatever you want on top

Spot prime where the paint is chipped(I presume you've sanded the edges of the chips down to blend and make a smooth surface).

Then do a single full coat of bin primer, then 2 coats of top coat, might have to do a third coat depending on paint

Over the BIN with acrylic primer undercoat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back