is underfloor heating feasible / expensive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Were are planning to fit a new kitchen which is situated between the garage and the lounge. We are tempted to remove the radiator and instead install underfloor gas heating to win some space.

A friend of ours had electric underfloor heating installed in the bathroom and he confirmed that it was super expensive running it.

Can anyone shed some light if they found it expensive to run? Or their experience overall in having underfloor heating?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Unless a very large kitchen the heat output will be too low, not controllable and very expensive to install.

A plinth fan heater overcomes all these disadvantages.

Tony

Its not a very big kitchen.

Will this be better and more feasible than gas underfloor heating?

A small kitchen can of course have UFH. Nothing better than lovely floor tiles & UFH!! You may need to supplement the UFH with a wall mounted towel rail for example - all of which can be connected to your gas central heating.

Sponsored Links
Electric will be expensive to run, you're trying to heat a room at 5x the price per kWh than the price of gas!

You really need intelligent control over UHF in a room as the floor will retain heat and get warm more slowly. A electronic thermostat with some sort of self-learning hysteresis compensation should do the trick.

Electric will be expensive to run, you're trying to heat a room at 5x the price per kWh than the price of gas!

You really need intelligent control over UHF in a room as the floor will retain heat and get warm more slowly. A electronic thermostat with some sort of self-learning hysteresis compensation should do the trick.

Eh?? Do you not think that wet UFH is not a mature industry & can be readily installed anywhere in the UK??

A small UFH zone is very, very easy to install & can be used with limited controls.

Eh?? Do you not think that wet UFH is not a mature industry & can be readily installed anywhere in the UK??

A small UFH zone is very, very easy to install & can be used with limited controls.
Eh?? back at ya! What makes you believe I'm suggesting it isn't and where did I mention it being location-specific? The OP referenced his mate's electric heating whch is naturally very expensive, and asked for feedback on other's experiences of UFH systems. I was suggesting with a wet system on a gas boiler he obviously won't have that same running cost problem.

I was also suggesting a separate learning thermostat and zone to stop the room feeling cold whilst the tiles/slab/wood heat up. People can feel disappointed otherwise as there's not something they can immediately feel heating up like a radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back