Is Velux the Only Fruit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking around for some centre-pivot roof windows.

Velux is the brand always mentioned, but who else are worth considering?

Sponsored Links
There are others out there but velux are the best and for what they are they are not expensive.Ive came across some very poor imitations in my time.

I had a look at Fakro which seem identical to Velux, but the list prices have Velux at £100+ more expensive. I'm buying three so that totals a big difference in my books.

Now assuming no one but the daft pays list, does anyone know if the prices become comparable when builders buy through trade?

Sponsored Links
I must admit the fakro windows do look ok,maybe someone on here can confirm quality?There is a popular diy outlet in the uk that sells a sky light that has a large rubber flashing that you stretch onto the window after fitting,these are total rubbish so beware of that type.I replaced a couple last year. ;)

Velux no contest

Why? What is so good about Velux compared with Fakr? I'm not being cheeky, I just would like to understand what makes them so good, and hence more expensive to a product that appears identical.

Velux no contest

Why? What is so good about Velux compared with Fakr? I'm not being cheeky, I just would like to understand what makes them so good, and hence more expensive to a product that appears identical.

A good point, someone who recommends the brand leader is the type of person who automatically buys heinz beans, pedigree chum, fairy liquid etc etc Good marketing and advertising do not make one brand better than another.

Beanz meanz heinz:cool: I have since been talking to mate who has fitted these farco windows.He says they are ok and every bit as good as a velux???As i have never personaly fitted them i would not know but i would now give them consideration.

Beanz meanz heinz:cool: I have since been talking to mate who has fitted these farco windows.He says they are ok and every bit as good as a velux???As i have never personaly fitted them i would not know but i would now give them consideration.

Good on ya!

Here's a challenge for you then: Pick a roof window like a 1140 x 1180 centre pivot and tell us what trade price you'd get for the Fakro and the Velux. Let's see if the price difference is significant.

It is not all about the cost of the product but, more importantly, ease of installation.

Velux are idiot proof.

It is true to say however, that i have not installed a Fakro. :oops:

Better the Devil you do...and all that. :rolleyes:

ROFL that's like saying to your customer "You're getting Velux cos I'm too much of an idiot to try anything else"

Nothing's idiot proof, I've met some very ingenious idiots!

To be honest you can use any make you want I personally dont care.. But those that know will say the same Velux are the best. They are market leaders because they are the best. We have fitted them all.. but if it's my choice then Velux is what i will fit.

If someone asks which I think is best I say what I think based on experience, not on cost or google hours etc

Also Fakro are not identical to current Velux, I dont eat heinz beans I dont buy P chum (butchers actually) I do buy fairy liquid.

Costs to me .. are costs to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back