Islamophobia and Europhobia

Reaction score
Country
France
Islamophobia has often been defined on here as "an irrational fear of Islam"

But I was considering the definition of europhobia, and I immediately thought of it as "an irrational fear of Europeans"

I thought that's insane, so I checked, and sure enough "europhobia" is:
A person having a strong dislike of Europe or opposing participation in the European Union.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Europhobe
So I thought, hang on a min'
One phobia can't be an 'irrational fear' and another phobia a 'strong dislike'.
Sure enough islamophobia is defined as:
Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Islamophobia

I just thought I'd clarify that.

Now I can happily describe JBR and others as europhobes. ;)

Sponsored Links
Yet another post with yet another insult.
Sorry, Dex, but I have to take issue with your comment.
A Europhobe is described as someone who has "a strong dislike of Europe or opposing participation in the European Union".
I think JBR would quite happily accept that it descibes him accurately. As it would all or most UKIP supporters, surely.
How can that possibly be considered an insult?

If you wish to identify some of my posts which you consider insulting, at least identify some less ambiguous ones.
Also, to be fair and impartial, please also quote the preceeding posts by other contributors identifying their preceeding insults.
Otherwise you are in danger of losing your perceived impartial status.

Oh, I do apologise. Having browsed through a significant number of your posts over the last couple of days, it momentarily slipped my mind that this thread and your research was aimed at offering a useful insight with the aim of making others on here feel good about themselves.

How silly of me.

Sponsored Links
Oh, I do apologise. Having browsed through a significant number of your posts over the last couple of days, it momentarily slipped my mind that this thread and your research was aimed at offering a useful insight with the aim of making others on here feel good about themselves.

How silly of me.
So you're the one reading my posts. ;)
By the indication of the "views" counter you must be reading the same ones again and again and again. ;)

Ah well, at least my wit is surpassed by your sarcasm. ;)

Well that's two new threads by DC in short order, presumably in a desperate attempt to elicit responses by other forum members.
I don't normally read his drivel but I noticed my name mentioned in a quote by Dex, so thought I'd reply on this occasion.

To clarify, I have no particular dislike of Europeans, in fact, I enjoy meeting them by and large. However, I have a strong dislike of our country being ruled from Brussels and by unelected foreigners, very often making decisions which may benefit other EU members but not Britain.
On DC's definition, then, I am a Europhobe and proud to be so. Perhaps that will make him happy. :rolleyes:

By the indication of the "views" counter you must be reading the same ones again and again and again. ;)
It's a mixture of not wanting to leave behind a good thing on the one hand, and sheer disbelief on the other ;)
:)
Doesn't it hurt sitting on the fence like that? ;)
Not too bad TBH. Once one files off the barbs :mrgreen:
Hmmm, barbs on the flies, could be worse.

Well whatever you do, don't wriggle or squirm. ;)

It took me a long time, being banned from here and elsewhere under several usernames to come to the conclusion that it's nicer to try to be witty than abusive. I have strong opinions as indeed do most other posters. However, I'm not going to change their minds significantly, nor are they going to change mine; and most certainly not if exchanges involve heavy use of insults and tit-for-tat point scoring.

So, if I get things wrong, then so be it. Sit back, reflect, amend and move on. Obviously there are going to be exceptions (notably where jd is involved :mrgreen: ), but so far I've built bridges and have come to appreciate and even like historic adversaries. This isn't to say that I concur with their views.

Since most days seem to include news stories involving either the EU, immigration or Islamic extremists, it seems entirely plausible to recognize that these are burning issues and that many people are frightened/concerned about their safety and their own and their families' future. To belittle this by name calling is, imho, silly and futile. Argue the points with evidence, not the person.

Islamophobia has often been defined on here as "an irrational fear of Islam"

But I was considering the definition of europhobia, and I immediately thought of it as "an irrational fear of Europeans"

I thought that's insane, so I checked, and sure enough "europhobia" is:
A person having a strong dislike of Europe or opposing participation in the European Union.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Europhobe
So I thought, hang on a min'
One phobia can't be an 'irrational fear' and another phobia a 'strong dislike'.
Sure enough islamophobia is defined as:
Dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/Islamophobia

I just thought I'd clarify that.

Spot on DC. One is described as a strong dislike and the other as dislike or prejudice. You have just high lighted positive racism in the Oxford dictionary.

Since most days seem to include news stories involving either the EU, immigration or Islamic extremists, it seems entirely plausible to recognize that these are burning issues and that many people are frightened/concerned about their safety and their own and their families' future.

Indeed. Such a shame, then, that the mods on here seem to be so eager to censor discussions about them, at least the latter two.

Since most days seem to include news stories involving either the EU, immigration or Islamic extremists, it seems entirely plausible to recognize that these are burning issues and that many people are frightened/concerned about their safety and their own and their families' future. To belittle this by name calling is, imho, silly and futile. Argue the points with evidence, not the person.
I have absolutely no problems with sensible discussions about religion, immigration, politics, policies, etc.

What I will take issue with is blatant misrepresentation of facts and/or duplicitous and deceitful subterfuge to further some agenda, incessant and prolific offensive comments that are recognised as unacceptable raciast/sexist/homophobic etc comments, and resorting to insults when I highlight or expose those incidents by logic, documented evidence, reference material, etc.

Sadly the posters who regularly behave so badly are the ones who are incapable of reasonable discussion, and thus become the target of my ridicule.

Many others may hold different views to me, but I rarely engage with them because they can and do hold a discussion without resorting to offensive comments, etc. Therefore I accept their opinions and respect them.

Some topics I have no interest in and don't follow them. I don't chip in with pointless comments about how bored I am or attack the posters for continuing a topic of which I have no interest. I find that type of behaviour utterly irrational.

If you don't want posters to 'chip in' to your threads, don't start them.

Sponsored Links
Back