Bad smell in cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since moving to our new home in October, we have had numerous problems. Today i found another one!
We have noticed from day 1 that there was an unpleasant smell inside the built in wardrobe in my daughters room.
Initially we put it down to lack of air circulation, however recently i noted that one of the walls was in fact stud work and it smelled although was not damp at all.
This morning after my night shift my wife mentioned it still smelled even though i painted it last week, just incase the pant used was a bit off (had this problem in the past).
Before hitting my bed i thought i would have another quick look so i thought i would pull the carpet back just to check for any issues there.
I didn't notice any damp although i could feel a strong breeze from the skirting fixed to the stud wall and decided to remove the short section to see why.
Once removed i could see a large un-filled hole in the block and beam floor with the soil pipe from my sons en-suite going through. The hole is around 12" long and easily large enough to fit my arm in!
I managed to get a few shots holding my mobile in there and noticed the soil pipe running upwards without any support. I am pretty sure this pipe turns horizontal under the upstairs floor and enters the eves where it has a convoluted tube attache to a roof vent.
The smell is definitely from this wall although i cannot spot or fell any damp or leak so maybe being carried by the airflow under the floor? There is some water under the floor but i think this is just ground water.
Should this large hole be covered by our NHBC warranty?
Failing that then i am thinking of filling the hole with a bit of PIR insulation and expanding foaming around the soil pipe and hole. I am not sure if i need to hack open the stud wall just yet though.

Sponsored Links
What sort of smell is it. If it's a sewage smell, then you've got a loose joint in the soil pipe. If it's a damp smell, then it could be coming from the ground water, but you'd want to check the air bricks to make sure that it's vented properly before you think about blocking the hole up.

If it's a new build and under warranty then get the developer back to have a look. If that's ground floor, which your post suggests, then the hole could also become an access for rodents!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back