Isolating a mixer shower with a pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I wonder if anyone may be able to help. I am currently in the process of revamping my ensuite bathroom and part of this revamp is to replace the taps and shower head of my mixer shower. I understand that I need to isolate the hot and cold water and have been told by a plumber that I can either turn off a couple of valves somewhere in the loft or turn off the whole water supply to the house and drain the hot water cylinder (I have no isolation valves closer to the shower.) As much as that sounds like a waste of water I think that may be easier than trying to understand the maze of pipes in my attic to find the right valves.

My question is, once I have isolated the water, do I need to do anything to isolate the pump for the shower or will it automatically stop if no water is going through it? Apologies if this question is more of an electrical-related question and is in the wrong forum.

Thanks very much for any help anyone may be able to give.

Regards,
SThomas

Sponsored Links
If you're just replacing the shower head you don't need to isolate anything...you just get on and do it.

re taps, first of all take a look under the basin for isolation valves. You might have them under the bath too but unlikely.

Have a look by the cylinder for gate valves to isolate the hot and cold water. There's a good chance that they won't turn in which case you will have to drain the cold water tank (can cause air locks) or buy a rubber bung set which push into the pipe holes in the tank.

if you intend to change the shower valve, the pump should have isolation valves on the pipework.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back