Isolating cold water to upstairs toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I live in a Bryant built home and need to shut off the upstairs cold water supply to the toilet as I need to change the ball cock valve.

There are 2 pipes that come out of the header tank, one the overflow and the other, which appears to lead into a large diameter grey pipe that is located behind the bath, running vertically with the house. Im confused as to where the cold water toilet supply source is coming from. There are no in-line isolation valves and the pipe work that is reasonably accessible, coming from the toilet is all plastic.
The thick grey pipe work that the toilet feed and a couple other pipes lead into (including the bath overflow) stretches vertically up into the loft and out to the roof??

Any ideas please? There is a tank in the loft and i've turned the handles into off on both the 'rising mains' pipe and the main cold water pipe in the airing cupboard, but to no avail. I don't want to try draining the tank, until I'm sure ive isolated the right bits either.

Any help greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Your toilet will be mains fed so you need to turn off the stopcock (probably in your kitchen) if you can't find it, turn off the supply at the front of your house.

You think definitely mains fed? I had a quick google and thought it wasn't, as in our water supply is in-direct. Think shutting it off from the drive way is the next best thing to try.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Turn off mains flush toilet, does not fill up mains fed.
Main stop cock somewhere in the kitchen under the sink perhaps?
HTH

Turning off the incoming supply, either outside in the pavement or via your stop cock will allow you to replace it.

If it's mains fed that's all you need to do. If it's tank fed you'll need to drain the tank by running the bath taps. However if you do have to drain the tank beware of airlocks when refilling.

If it does turn out to be tank fed, plug the outlet from the tank don't drain it and fit isolation valve for next time.

Thanks all. I found the stop cock under kitchen sink (there was a load of junk in front of it) and has therefore shut off all the cold water.

One new problem is that my ball valve won't fit. Someone gave it to me for free so knew it may not be compatible.

Got a couple pics here to give you an indication. What's the thing called the valve arm is mounted to? Is it a side inlet cistern?
Lower pic is the mounting for the new ball valve

The new male thread is way too small to fit the original large plastic nut.

You have two different types of ball valves there.

The one in your cistern at the moment is a BOTTOM feed valve and the one you are trying to replace it with is a SIDE feed.

The one you are trying to replace it with should really only be used in your tanks (in your attic) to comply with certain regs.

Go to any local plumbing merchants and ask for a bottom feed ball valve, should be a standard swap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back