Isolating extractor fan.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
We have an extractor in the bathroom and we want to isolate it as its more of a pain than anything. When you open it there is live and neutral and earth and also a wire marked LS does this light switch? If so how would I stop the fan from working wiring wise?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
proberly best to leave the main wires safely in there relevant connecters and remove the smaller output wires that go to the printed circuit

LS is the trigger from the lightswitch that starts the timer

Sponsored Links
So I couldn't take them out and put them in a block and stop it that way?

Yes, you could do that, with the wires left inside the fan of course.

Are you sure there's not a switch for it somewhere?

Over the door is usual, or possibly in a nearby cupboard?

There is a switch above the door but when you turn it off the light won't work
That's because the fan and the switch were installed by an idiot.

Why do you want to disable the fan? You do realise that they exist for very good reasons?

Hi,
Yes I understand why they are in place but I have plenty of extraction via the large bathroom window. Not sure why it's wired like this but jur want to know can I put all the wires into a block or do I need to keep the wire marked LS in place. The fan is so noisey I will just use the window it's not the most relaxing in the bath listening to a fan that sounds like a turbo on a jet engine
[/b]

All you have to do is disconnect one of the wires inside the fan and terminate it safely.

It doesn't matter whether you disconnect the Permanent live, Switched live or even the Neutral.
Any one of the three will stop it working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back