Isolating HW and CW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The down stairs bathroom in soon to replace does not have any isolating valves on the pipe work for the taps/cold feed to the toilet etc so I need to isolate these before going about any work.

HW
Ive got a conventional HW cylinder like this.

There are no gate valves/stop cocks entering or leaving the tank but there is a valve on the header tank in the loft that supplies the cylinder.

If I shut off the valve on the header tank will I also need to empty or drain off the HW cylinder before disconnecting the hot feed at the downstairs tap?
(not sure if the cylinder works by displacement of water or just by gravity so wanted to check first!)

CW
Ive turned off the mains stop cock but I’m still getting cold water at the tap…
I think this is supplied by a second header tank in the loft which has a couple of seized stop cocks which I need to loosen up. (the tank labeled b)

Ill try to do this this by gently working the handles back and forward with a stilson wrench to try and get some movement in the handles.
Bearing in mind the stop cocks are close to the plastic header tank are there any other precautions I need to take to avoid damaging/cracking the plastic around where the pipes enter the header tank?

Oh, and when I do get everything isolated ill fit some ballofix valves in the bathroom!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Turn off the main stopcock and drain the tanks in the loft, when they are empty the hot water will also stop , then you can change what you like and fit isolators to your downstairs toilet, don't try and loosen old gatevalves , replace them with lever valves.

Turn off the main stopcock and drain the tanks in the loft, when they are empty the hot water will also stop , then you can change what you like and fit isolators to your downstairs toilet, don't try and loosen old gatevalves , replace them with lever valves.

Thanks Picasso,

The gate valves are fine, its the two stopcock valves in the middle of the last pic that are seized

Is it not even worth trying to loosen the the valves before replacing?
Or are these thing best left alone once they have seized?

I would replace, you have to drain down anyway so take the opportunity change the valves.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back