Isolating Power showers - stopcock query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Got a quick query - hope you can help.
I am replacing the power showers in the en-suite and bathroom - found the gate valves from hot tank and cold tank - result!
Latter is straight from the bottom of cold tank and tees off for the bathroom and en-suite - can follow pipework in loft-space.

Problem is I have closed the valves, but when I run the shower to clear pipes, the water still appears to flow (cold, so assume cold tank feed). Anticipate it would not take long to clear? Interestingly, it sounds as though the cold tank is filling despite the gate closure - surely this shouldn't happen?.

Both valves free, lubricated and turn stop to stop. I don't really want to drain the cold tank completely to avoid airlock.
Am I missing a trick, or can I assume the cold gate faulty, so get the dreaded pipe-freeze kit out? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gate valves are notorious for not closing properly, they are best used for controlling the flow rather than opening or shutting. You can get a tapered rubber bung, sold in pairs. Inside the tank where the fitting for the pipe outlet is, push the tapered bung into the hole and that will shut the water off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back